EBE: Trackback UI

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Developer
Jun 6, 2007 at 11:56 PM
Since custom columns on the Posts list will not be displayed under the MTF, I will need to work with Vincent to refactor the user interfaces for working with trackbacks and pingbacks (the two are collectively called linkbacks). In addition, naming/terminology/wording/etc needs some cleanup.

To start with, here are my suggestions for naming and adjusting elements of the trackback/pingback component: (everything is from the perspective of the blogger's own blog site)

Required Lists
  • Links to this Blog
    • Name in URL to read "LinkbacksReceived"
    • Description to read "A list of trackbacks and pingbacks automatically captured when bloggers wrote about entries here in this blog."
    • Typically, the list is filtered to show trackbacks/pingbacks received for one particular post of yours.
    • You should only be permitted to moderate and delete items, not edit or add new ones.
    • Columns in this list:
      • Sent To (title and link to the entry on your blog that received the linkback, replaces "Linked Post ID" field)
      • Post Name/Link (combines/replaces "Post Name" and "URL" fields. It is the name, with hyperlink, of the external blog entry that references your blog entry)
      • Blog Name (the name of the external blogger's blog. For example, "Fear and Loathing").
      • Post Excerpt (an excerpt from the external blogger's blog. How many characters max?)
  • Trackbacks and Pingbacks Sent
    • Name in URL to read "LinkbanksSent"
    • Description to read "This list keeps a record of the trackbacks and pingbacks that were automatically or manually sent from this blog to others."
    • Hyperlink below each of your blog entries to a filtered view of this list will be removed. Reasons for visiting this list include determining why a trackback failed (viewing error messages) and viewing a history of the trackbacks and pingbacks you sent from your blog.
    • Columns will be the same as current, except with "Type" field (as above), and "Linked Post ID" will be renamed to "Sent From" (and it will show post titles instead of IDs). Columns might also be expanded to include a "Sent Manually?" field to distinguish between pings automatically sent from those you sent yourself.

UI for Working with Linkbacks
  • Each post will show the number of trackbacks and pingbacks received, and this will be hyperlinked to view the corresponding details. These links should be near the comments link - for example, a theme might show "4 Comment(s) | 2 Trackback(s) | 1 Pingback(s)" or "Comments: 4, Trackbacks: 2, Pingbacks: 1". Vincent, I need you to incorporate these hyperlinks into the MTF (nicely skinned views of the associated lists would also be nice here). Akismet spam protection on the trackbacks/pingbacks received would be nice as well, but low priority.
    • Alternatively, trackbacks and pingbacks can be combined as "Links to this Post" or "Links Received".
    • The Post add/edit forms will have a textbox field at the end, labelled "Manual trackback ping" with description "Trackbacks will be automatically performed where possible. However, if you must manually enter trackback ping URL(s) in order to notify other bloggers that you have written about their blog post(s), enter each trackback ping URL on its own line here".
    • An event receiver will parse post bodies and attempt an automatic trackback, followed by automatic pingback (recording success/fail in the history table, which is also checked to avoid double pinging). Any manually specified trackback ping URLs will then be processed, and the corresponding textbox field will then be cleared.
  • The trackback ping URL for a blog entry would look like this: http://server/blogname/_layouts/cks/ebe/trackback.aspx?ID=3
  • The "Write About This" blurb needs to be re-done
Developer
Jun 7, 2007 at 12:25 AM
Great post, its a bit late here to take it all in...I'll take a closer look tomorrow.

Just to point out though...custom columns ARE available in the MTF...just not formatted using CAML, they will be formatted with XSL (not that much difference!). You can add whatever columns you like or any lists you like...they will all be immediately available to skin with XSL.

Vince
Developer
Jul 22, 2007 at 9:35 AM
I've come up with an example of what the linkbacks might look like at http://ebe.wssblogs.com/default.aspx using the Wildlife theme. In addtion to the columns mentioned above I've added a LinkbackType column to the LinkbacksReceived list so we know if an item is a trackback or pingback.
Developer
Jul 23, 2007 at 3:43 AM
Looking good Ari. Can you update the wsp with your changes and email it to me so I can add my piece?

I'm hoping to wrap up trackbacks soon so I can try to move on to configurable links and ping server integration.
Developer
Aug 2, 2007 at 1:28 PM
Added in the linkbacks sent + linkbacks received list to the solution + basic theme support. Feel free to grab the source code and make your changes - I have some stuff to finish off with the theme support but it shouldn't affect what you are doing.
Developer
Aug 2, 2007 at 10:41 PM
Excellent, thanks!
I didn't get a chance to work on finishing up trackbacks earlier this week, but I'm hoping to be able to do it tonight.