MySiteCreate Errors After Uninstall

Topics: General/Misc.
Aug 27, 2007 at 10:52 PM
I've implemented the mysiteCreate customization and it works really well. However I've run in to an issue when the code is uninstalled.

My scenario is.
1. Install the MySiteCreate feature (All OK)
2. Create my MySite based on the custom Mysite (All OK)
3. Delete my Mysite site (Deletes OK)
4. Uninstall the MySiteCreate feature (Uninstalls OK)
5. Create my MySite with should now be based on the standard OOTB Mysite. (Error occurs and cannot be created.
6. Create a Mysite for someone who did not create a site based on the MySite create feature (Create OK)

Is this a know issue with this method of mysite modification or is there something I can do to remove the dependency on the MysiteCreate feature for those individuals that have used it to create their site. It looks like a reference to the custom master page is being left in the content database.

The error that occurs is as follows:-

Description: An error occurred during the parsing of a resource required to service this request. Please review the following specific parse error details and modify your source file appropriately.

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'MySiteCreatePart, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cb1bdc5f7817b18b' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error:

Line 5: <%@ Register TagPrefix="wssuc" TagName="Welcome" src="~/_controltemplates/Welcome.ascx" %>
Line 6: <%@ Register TagPrefix="wssuc" TagName="DesignModeConsole" src="~/_controltemplates/DesignModeConsole.ascx" %>
Line 7: <%@ Register Tagprefix="IWPart" Namespace="Microsoft.IW" Assembly="MySiteCreatePart, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=cb1bdc5f7817b18b" %>
Line 8:
Line 9: <HTML dir="<%$Resources:wss,multipagesdirectiondir_value%>" runat="server" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">


Source File: /_catalogs/masterpage/CustomMySite.master Line: 7

I hope it's just something I've missed.

Thanks

Duncan
Nov 5, 2007 at 8:36 PM
Following the instructions, I had some of the same problems. In Retrospect things were very clear but I didn't catch a couple of things the first time around.
1) gacutil was supposed to install MySiteCreate.dll in the GAC. I did not have gacutil in my path, and then there was an additional error that made me complete this process manually.
2)steve.master contains the IWPart that does a lot of the work, but I had changed the master page property because surely I thought I didn't want steve.master in my production sites
3) I didn't realize that the MySiteCreatePart.dll was a separate DLL that needed installed in the GAC

I was tweaking the MySiteStaplee.xml and I kept running in to problems as well.

1) After I created the first post-install mysite Uninstall would throw the error:
The feature with ID '4defa336-edc4-43cb-9560-fe2e27e76dfb' is still activated within this farm or stand alone installation. Deactivate this feature in the various locations where it is activated or use -force to force uninstallation of this feature.

Once I deleted the site collection, things uninstalled cleanly.

2) I wanted to add the MemberShips Microview but I get an invalid web part error
<!--
<WebPartAction>
<Assembly>Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal, Version=12.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c</Assembly>
<className></className>
<zoneID>MiddleRightZone</zoneID>
<zoneIndex>0</zoneIndex>
<TypeName>Microsoft.SharePoint.Portal.WebControls.MembershipsMicroView</TypeName>
<Action>Add</Action>
</WebPartAction>
-->

Something else noteworthy is you don't have to do a full IISRESET to modify and apply changes to the MySiteStaplee.xml file. If you recycle the application pool where mysites resides, that is sufficient.