403 error when activing EBE at site level

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Sep 12, 2007 at 1:33 PM
My admins installed the Enhanced Blog Edition Feature and provisioned a new community site for me. When I try to activate the feature, I get a 403 error. I'm the site owner for this site. Do I need other permissions to activate a feature?

Thanks in advance,
Brian
Developer
Sep 21, 2007 at 9:57 PM
The feature can only be activated on a WSS blog site...is that the template of the site on which you activated the feature?

There is also a feature at the web application level (Central Admin) that needs to be activate first for the WebApp...has that been done?

Vince

McCool wrote:
My admins installed the Enhanced Blog Edition Feature and provisioned a new community site for me. When I try to activate the feature, I get a 403 error. I'm the site owner for this site. Do I need other permissions to activate a feature?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Nov 12, 2007 at 2:23 AM
I activated the edition in the web application level. I get the same 403 error when i attempt to active the feature at the site level. I did check to make sure it was created with Blog template. With the following error message, I attempted to give the web application pool account (Network Service) full access to the CKS EBE directory in the 12 hive. Same problem.

Checking the LOGS - i see the following in the log when I attempt to active at the site level:

11/11/2007 21:08:46.08 w3wp.exe (0x1E4C) 0x1944 Windows SharePoint Services Feature Infrastructure 88jm High Feature receiver assembly 'CKS.EBE, Version=0.1.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=3e8b700c069fb747', class 'CKS.EBE.FeatureReceiver', method 'FeatureActivated' for feature 'bbe9def7-2fe9-a0b1-d7bb-aa128c837ebe' threw an exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\CKS EBE\Pages\Home.aspx' is denied. at CKS.EBE.FeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)
11/11/2007 21:08:46.08 w3wp.exe (0x1E4C) 0x1944 Windows SharePoint Services General 72by High Feature Activation: Threw an exception, attempting to roll back. Feature 'CKS EBE' (ID: 'bbe9def7-2fe9-a0b1-d7bb-aa128c837ebe'). Exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path 'C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Template\Features\CKS EBE\Pages\Home.aspx' is denied. at CKS.EBE.FeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce) at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)
Developer
Nov 12, 2007 at 1:32 PM
During the activation the feature reads the files from the 'CKS EBE' feature folder to add them to the site. You obviously do not have access to these files.

Can you run FileMon to see what account is being used to access them?

This should be easy to fix...I will look into it.

Vince
Nov 12, 2007 at 6:11 PM
Thanks, sorry for the basic question - what do you mean by FileMon? I agree, this seems pretty easy to fix if we figure out what is being used. Just let me know what I should do - and I'll definitely do it tonight.

Thanks!
Developer
Nov 12, 2007 at 7:53 PM
FileMon is from SysInternals (now on TechNet) and allows you to see what files are being accessed and most importantly any errors. You should see a read failure when you activate the feature,,,

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/filemon.mspx

The failure should also tell you the account it was trying to use...give this account read access and the 403 should go away.

Vince