TAG Cloud

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition, General/Misc.
Developer
Sep 13, 2007 at 6:38 PM
I have been testing out the TAG cloud, it appears that it does not enumerate any tags in sub-sites. I have placed the tag cloud on the home page of my parent site, but also added the Site Column Tags to lists in sites below that. And they do not appear in the home page tag cloud. What am i missing or is this by design?
Developer
Sep 14, 2007 at 2:33 PM
I went through the code a bit and think that i see the problem. I am not 100% sure as I am having issues getting a feature produced from it that i can put into a test environment. In any case here is the change i think needs to be made

SPWeb mySite = SPControl.GetContextWeb(Context);

SPListCollection sitelists = mySite.Lists;
foreach (SPList list in sitelists)
Developer
Sep 27, 2007 at 8:01 PM
We finally got the TAG cloud to work properly and go through the entire site collection. If you want the code changes let me know
Oct 1, 2007 at 7:17 PM
Iterating tags for the entire site collection is essential functionality. Can yoy share this code?

cgeier wrote:
We finally got the TAG cloud to work properly and go through the entire site collection. If you want the code changes let me know

Developer
Oct 2, 2007 at 3:38 PM
I am not sure how i would do that?

ltedward wrote:
Iterating tags for the entire site collection is essential functionality. Can yoy share this code?

cgeier wrote:

Oct 4, 2007 at 7:13 PM
cgeier,
How did you change the code for the Tag Cloud to iterate through the entire site collection?

I have the source code in my virtual environment.

Please let me know!

/Daniel Bugday
Oct 8, 2007 at 6:28 PM
cgeier,

Can you post the details (code snippets) of how you changed the Tag Cloud to read the entire site collection as indiatd in your Sept 27th posting?

Thank you for your help.

Lyle

cgeier wrote:
I am not sure how i would do that?

ltedward wrote:

cgeier wrote:

Developer
Oct 8, 2007 at 11:33 PM
I have sent in the files to the project leaders, I am sure they will be testing it out and posting soon
Jan 25, 2008 at 3:28 PM
Has this functionality been added to the Tag Cloud? We want to use this webpart, but it's not useful to us if it doesn't include sub-sites.

Ben
Jan 26, 2008 at 11:48 PM
This functionality isn't added to the Tag Cloud, not in the release and not in the sourcecode. Cgeier is not responding.
We are currently in the process of modifying the code ourselves.
Developer
Jan 27, 2008 at 2:17 AM

Stoneford wrote:
This functionality isn't added to the Tag Cloud, not in the release and not in the sourcecode. Cgeier is not responding.
We are currently in the process of modifying the code ourselves.

I had sent it in to be posted here but it never showed up. Am I allowed to post it on my blog or elsewhere? Not sure if that is against the rules or i would....Opinions?
Jan 27, 2008 at 4:13 PM
Not sure what the rules are concerning this.

I appreciate the offer for posting the code elsewhere. But, I've got to wait for this to be incorporated into the release / sourcecode. My IT dept. (large company) wants to see this in the product...if we have to maintain the source, that's a showstopper for us.

Not sure why the tag cloud doesn't look at sub-sites. Not very useful without that functionality.
Jan 27, 2008 at 7:08 PM
Edited Jan 27, 2008 at 7:18 PM
Is Chris allowed to post the source, or part of the source elsewhere? I think so because in many discussions on the CodePlex CKS site it's done by others.
Some people including me are very much interested in the source. I suggest Chris will post de modfied sources in this discussion or elsewhere. I don't care if it's a raw text file, or it's included in a comment. If Chris drops the modified code here, we all are able to incorporate this code into the original sourcecode and do a rebuild, ok?
In my healthy opinion Chris has a valuable contribution to the Tag Cloud Web Part, I hope it'll be included in the next release of the Tag Cloud. Without this functionality the Tag Cloud isn't complete. I hope it's able to collect the tags all over a site collection just like on http://solshare.net :-)
Chris, Thanks for responding!
Developer
Jan 28, 2008 at 1:57 AM
OK So ya all convinced me, so I posted a quick blog about it, and attached the RAR file with the code to it. Check it out here

http://k2underground.com/blogs/chrisg/archive/2008/01/27/the-tag-cloud.aspx

Check it all out and let me know what you think..Hopefully it is usefull to you all
Jul 1, 2009 at 8:00 AM

Hi there,
         I must say i nice compenet though.
But i have a question.When i add the Tag Cloud and add some tags to the list it does show up but it all bolded with big fonts but you did mention on codplex that
Tag Cloud web part – displaying tags in weighted format. The popular a tag is, the bigger it’s shown.

But mine just showed big fonts  straight away

Also is this the latest build http://www.wsssearch.com/tagging.html  ??

You also said:

Tag Browser web part – displaying items associated with a tag. The order of items can be customized.(Where can this be customised?)
 Related Tag Cloud web part – a tag cloud only displaying related tags co-existed with a tag.(I didn't get to see this webpart from the site above)
 URL Browser web part – displaying link items sorted on number of saves. This web part is used for social tagging/bookmarking scenario.
(How to set this up?)

Thanks