IEE: MOSS 2007 Proposed Features

Topics: Internet/Extranet Edition
Coordinator
Sep 20, 2007 at 9:53 PM
*This is the place to add your input to what MOSS 2007 features you'd like to suggest for the MOSS 2007 implementation of the CKS:Internet/Extranet Edition. *
Sep 21, 2007 at 5:36 PM
Forms-based authentication against any arbitrary SQL table in any external database. In our environment this would be much more useful than a FBA Batch Import wizard.
Sep 22, 2007 at 7:49 AM
Can we do the features above for WSS 3.0 also. In general MOSS 2007 is too $$ for small business. One additional feature would be to create automatically site using like Team Site basic template - like MySite and only administrator/owner could control/grant/deny access to this site.
For start - MySite is public - but only owner/administrator could contribute - on WSS 3.0?
Sep 22, 2007 at 8:53 PM
Corporate Extranet implementations often require the use of two-factor authentication like RSA SecurID. Anything that would simplify this type of authentication would certainly be helpful to many organizations.
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:41 PM
Edited Sep 26, 2007 at 1:50 PM

bseirup wrote:
Forms-based authentication against any arbitrary SQL table in any external database. In our environment this would be much more useful than a FBA Batch Import wizard.

This would be a bit tough to work out in a generic fashion as the table structures could change between deployments. Instead we are sticking to using the MembershipProvider base class implementation. You could however create your own MembershipProvider class that used your specialized tables while exposing the MembershipProvider methods and it will work with all of the IEE FBA features.

Paul
Coordinator
Sep 26, 2007 at 1:48 PM

JiriJ wrote:
Can we do the features above for WSS 3.0 also. In general MOSS 2007 is too $$ for small business. One additional feature would be to create automatically site using like Team Site basic template - like MySite and only administrator/owner could control/grant/deny access to this site.
For start - MySite is public - but only owner/administrator could contribute - on WSS 3.0?

We'd love to add a full MySite feature set to WSS 3.0, and I'm' sure it would be very useful but would be a pretty huge amount of work and would be duplicating the same work that was developed for MOSS 2007. I don't think we'd be able to pull that off in a timely basis and most of those who really need MySite functionality don't have the issues with licensing of MOSS 2007.
Oct 6, 2007 at 7:29 AM
It sounds like this may already be covered, but a priority for me is for the registration data to be synchronized (or centralized) in the SSP User Profile so that it can be used in conjunction with Audience Filtering.
Oct 17, 2007 at 11:14 AM
Aside from the authentication management stuff listed, I would love to see anything that helps expose details about the community.

Allowing certain profile fields to be user-maintained and searchable - not far enough along in my project to see how much of this can be done out of the box with mysite etc. but my sense so far is that it will take some customization to get right.

I just found the CommunityKit project, so perhaps this stuff is already covered. Clarification would be appreciated on profile management / exposure i.e. what can be done with MOSS vs. community kit vs. some more that maybe the IEE edition could address.

Thanks!
Feb 12, 2008 at 10:59 AM
I was unable to confirm whether this feature exists, hence this request.

Would it be possible (is it possible) to use the same users for 2 or more separate web applications configured in the same MOSS installation?
We are planning to have 2 different extranets based on MOSS to be hosted on the same MOSS installation/infrastructure. For obvious reasons, each of them would be installed as a separate web application, but we have some extranet users, which use both of these extranets and for the sake of re-usability it would be great to have to configure only one FBA feature and not twice.

Thanks for your help.
Mar 14, 2008 at 7:48 PM
This is possible as long as you use the same membership provider for both web apps/extranets. The web.config files for both extranets should be set to the same provider (aspnetdb, for example) with all of the parameters set the same (especially the applicationName). That's all there is to it.

nileblitz wrote:
I was unable to confirm whether this feature exists, hence this request.

Would it be possible (is it possible) to use the same users for 2 or more separate web applications configured in the same MOSS installation?
We are planning to have 2 different extranets based on MOSS to be hosted on the same MOSS installation/infrastructure. For obvious reasons, each of them would be installed as a separate web application, but we have some extranet users, which use both of these extranets and for the sake of re-usability it would be great to have to configure only one FBA feature and not twice.

Thanks for your help.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:51 PM
Thanks Paul for all of your work on this. I would like to see the ability for an admin to reset passwords and unlock users. You can make it, no? Gotta have these web parts!
Thanks again!

PaulBallard wrote:
*This is the place to add your input to what MOSS 2007 features you'd like to suggest for the MOSS 2007 implementation of the CKS:Internet/Extranet Edition. *

Mar 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM
Edited Mar 27, 2008 at 8:50 PM
Most FBA implementations I've seen require a separate Web Application, Extranet URL, and Authentication Provider for every site collection where FBA is implemented. This seems very impractical for installations with many site collections. Ideally, a single Extranet URL/webapp could be used to allow FBA authentication for all site collections within a given Internal web app. If that could be done, we'd be VERY grateful.

Thanks!
Aug 5, 2008 at 9:24 PM
FBA feature request

Is it possible to parametrize the following.

Lockout account after 'x' number of failed tries.
Auto unlock after 'y' minutes.

It would also be nice for the admin to be (optionally) notified of lockouts.

JP
Aug 6, 2008 at 3:28 PM
Hello,

Here you can find one little trick that can be interesting for the blogs http://virtualservergallery.com/2008/08/06/enhanced-edit-content-control-for-moss/

I know that is not the best way to do it, but maybe it can be useful for someone!

Best regards!

Fernando.
Nov 9, 2008 at 3:48 PM

SharePoint lack print functionality .. that shud have been a great feature
Dec 3, 2008 at 7:43 PM
Password expiration and redirection from login page to the Change Password page. That I would LOVE to see. 

-MJC