World Clock and Weather web part Error - need help

Topics: General/Misc.
Dec 9, 2007 at 10:16 AM
Edited Dec 9, 2007 at 10:17 AM
Hi There,

I installed "CKS: World Clock and Weather web part" on test server with MOSS installed. After the install I got the following message,

Warning: Did not apply CAS settings during installation of 'CKS.Bamboo.WorldClockAndWeather.SPv3' since current trust level is set to Full on Web application 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\xxxxxxxxx.com80::Default::Toolbox Portal'.
Success: Installation Successfully Completed

from wppackager.log file.

I added cks: World Clock and Weather web part to my portal home page, I got the following error,

WebPart Error :: Method Name - OnPreRender :: MESSAGE - Unable to connect to the remote server

Anyone had experience with this error?

Thanks in advance,

Peter

Dec 10, 2007 at 8:36 PM
Hello Peter,

The first error message -

Warning: Did not apply CAS settings during installation of 'CKS.Bamboo.WorldClockAndWeather.SPv3' since current trust level is set to Full on Web application 'C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\xxxxxxxxx.com80::Default::Toolbox Portal'.
Success: Installation Successfully Completed

Is simply a warning. This is saying that the web application xxxxxx.com80 has a trust level set to "Full". This means that all code executed by this web application is accepted with no limitation. The installation program is attempting to implement a custom Code Access Security (CAS) however stsadm.exe bypasses this step since all code is accepted for execution.

On the second item -

WebPart Error :: Method Name - OnPreRender :: MESSAGE - Unable to connect to the remote server

Is commonly due to an issue accessing the MSN Weather Web Service (http://weather.msn.com) whether due to a proxy or firewall issue. Try to access that URL directly from the SharePoint Front End Web Server to see where the failure resides. You can also go to the following KB Article on the Bamboo Solutions site that contains a few helpful links:
http://store.bamboosolutions.com/kb/article.aspx?id=10782&cNode=3P5Q6S.

I hope this helps!

Jeff Kozloff
Bamboo Solutions