EWE Beta 3 Feature List

Topics: Enhanced Wiki Edition
Coordinator
Mar 8, 2008 at 6:56 PM
As announced at the SharePoint Conference, we are beginning a beta 3 release of EWE with an eventual plan to move to a production release.

Here's a list of what we are considering for EWE Beta 3 and headed into an eventual production release. Please let us know your thoughts or if there are other items you would like to see. Please contact me (DMann) via CodePlex if you are interested in joining the team.

• Enhanced Importer/Exporter (support for more products)
    • Integration with Word or OneNote
  • Enhanced Table of Contents
    • MediaWiki Style:
  • Plug-in Support (ability to call external objects or web services)
  • Improved Token / Markup Support (improved parsing performance and scalability, flexibility, optional caching, pluggable parsing engine)

The Feature Set will be locked by 3/28/08 and coding will begin on 4/1 so please offer your feedback or volunteer to join the team before that date.

Thanks.
Mar 8, 2008 at 10:14 PM
This list looks good to me. Nice to see the TOC is gonna get some attention. Only additional thing I would like to see is a template system to make creating consistent pages easier. Keep up the great work!

Shane
Mar 10, 2008 at 1:19 AM
Great to see a beta 3 will come to life in the future!
Here's my list

1. Tag Cloud needs in my healthy opinion some improvements, no it's category based but presenting to the visitor a tag cloud (sometimes with bullets)
2. Ability to add new themes more quickly
3. Plug-in support is a good idea!!!
4. Search, I know that Vince has dropped the solution in the discussion board, But for end-users it's hard to implement
5. Membership features (not the sharepoint FBA stuff, but monetization per blog
6. Sticky posts
7. Auto generate hyperlinks from a list of keywords
8. As said by spowser, a template system

Jaap
Coordinator
Mar 12, 2008 at 5:27 AM
Thanks for the ideas! We'll see what we can accomplish in a reasonable amount of time. I'll post the final feature list in early April. We're still looking for ideas and developers interested in helping out.

Dave
Mar 14, 2008 at 1:50 PM
Edited Mar 14, 2008 at 10:10 PM
I actually just posted this to the issues tracker system, but this may be a more appropriate place. (Feel free to delete this from the issue tracker :)

Is there a list somewhere of the currently supported import/export capabilities?

---
We've got some internal devs who love Confluence, and it seems like EWE + Telerik's editor is going to nail a few of their big requests.

Is it in scope to have the discussions webpart display by default below the associated wiki page? (or have it be an option to start minimized, etc?)

Also, being able to add attachments would be huge for simplifying our current intranet wiki configuration.

Thanks!
-W
Mar 14, 2008 at 3:46 PM
>> Integration with Word or OneNote

This would be huge, especially if it includes no-hassle image embedding like Word 2007's "Publish to blog" feature. The biggest drawback we are finding for new users that have never used a wiki is in how hard it is to create a page. If they could create a page in Word or OneNote and just "Publish" it to the wiki, that would go a long way to aid user acceptance, as well as bring a few of the die-hard MediaWiki savvy into the fold.

Also, having the ability to expose the "Incoming Links" on the wiki page (rather than having to click on a tab) would aid in navigation. Possibly a "history breadcrumb" trail so you can see the progression of pages that got you to the current page would help. Maybe exposing stats about the discussion page on the current page as well (number of posts, last post, last poster, etc). This would encourage new users to use the discussion area instead of editing the page to add their comments.

Another big one would be the ability to have customizable page template support.

My all time biggest wish is to have ranking incorporated into SharePoint. The ability to rank wiki pages, the resulting discussion posts, blog posts, forum posts, you name it.

Off topic, but has anyone heard about plans to get the forums feature implemented in CKS? This supposedly was going to happen, and would include the ranking.
Coordinator
Mar 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM
cblack, spowser & Stoneford: Can you expand a bit on what you mean by "customizable page template support". We've had similar requests and I want to make sure I understand what you mean

WSchultz: Currently on TWiki is supported for import/export

Thanks,

Dave
Mar 15, 2008 at 6:14 AM
Edited Mar 15, 2008 at 6:14 AM
This should sum it up nicely. ;)

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Template

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Transclusion

Shane
Mar 15, 2008 at 5:09 PM
I agree with Shane (spowser). customizable page template support is well defined in Wikipedia.

My only reference is wordpress, it's a pretty good blogging system with loads of plugins. I'm running a community site on SharePoint where several colleagues have a blog. Daniel McPherson made my life a little easier with the theme feature builder (http://codeplex.com/zevenseas) and search (although Vincent has pointed my to the right direction). What me and my colleagues are missing is some standard pages like contact, info/about, downloads, etc...which they're abloe te customize easy. I tried to build a page but for me with lack of professional development skills it's not easy :-) My colleagues have requested requested an info page which I had to copy from the one to the other blog with SPD.

Great to see some contributions to CKS on Codeplex as a spin-off, maybe an idea to contact Daniel McPherson of zevenseas.com. I'm sure he has some more ideas.

two other suggestions
1.make the tag cloud work with categories or get rid of the standard SharePoint categories and make it fully tag based.
2. Make CKS able to include videos etc.., now it's skipped by default sharepoint behavior. I know there are some workarounds but these don't appear well formatted in RSS. Seems to me a high prio to enable people to run a videoblog (silverlight enabled? incl. streaming.live support? )

Jaap
Mar 17, 2008 at 1:37 PM

dmann wrote:
cblack, spowser & Stoneford: Can you expand a bit on what you mean by "customizable page template support". We've had similar requests and I want to make sure I understand what you mean

Thanks,

Dave

Follow-up dumb question :)
When yous ay import of TWiki, do you mean a mass-import, or page-by-page?

Thanks
-W
Coordinator
Mar 27, 2008 at 4:25 PM
I believe it is a mass import.

WSchultz wrote:

dmann wrote:

Thanks,

Dave

Follow-up dumb question :)
When yous ay import of TWiki, do you mean a mass-import, or page-by-page?

Thanks
-W

Mar 28, 2008 at 7:11 PM
OneNote integration would be pretty cool. Live Writer would be better.
Full tagging is a must, for both blog and wiki.
I don't really care about templating too much as long as it can handle our corporate custom master.
Editable sections w/security would be neat.
Not sure what the editor plans are, but using something like TinyMCE would be v.nice.
Apr 22, 2008 at 7:46 AM
Hi Dave

I'm looking forward for a complete list :-)
What is the deadline?

dmann wrote:
I'll post the final feature list in early April.

Coordinator
Apr 22, 2008 at 11:44 AM
We're finalizing the list now and will be posting it soon...

Dave

Wassini wrote:
Hi Dave

I'm looking forward for a complete list :-)
What is the deadline?

dmann wrote:
I'll post the final feature list in early April.

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:40 PM
One more question... is it even possible with the Sharepoint framework for EWE to support simultaneous page edits? (And if so, is that in the wish list?)
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2008 at 7:12 PM
Interesting idea....I added it to our proposed feature list to see if we could figure out how to make it work...

WSchultz wrote:
One more question... is it even possible with the Sharepoint framework for EWE to support simultaneous page edits? (And if so, is that in the wish list?)

Apr 29, 2008 at 7:42 AM
"Are We There Yet?" *)

*) I feel like Donkey from Shrek...
May 21, 2008 at 2:12 PM
"Are We There Yet?"
May 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM

dmann wrote:
As announced at the SharePoint Conference, we are beginning a beta 3 release of EWE with an eventual plan to move to a production release.

Here's a list of what we are considering for EWE Beta 3 and headed into an eventual production release. Please let us know your thoughts or if there are other items you would like to see. Please contact me (DMann) via CodePlex if you are interested in joining the team.

• MediaWiki Style:
  • Improved Token / Markup Support (improved parsing performance and scalability, flexibility, optional caching, pluggable parsing engine)

The Feature Set will be locked by 3/28/08 and coding will begin on 4/1 so please offer your feedback or volunteer to join the team before that date.

Thanks.

This is good stuff.

Would also like to see in the next release an option to apply custom styles and a print firendly view of the page.
Thanks

May 21, 2008 at 3:45 PM

dmann wrote:

• MediaWiki Style:

Thanks.

This is good stuff.

Would also like to see in the next release an option to apply custom styles and a print firendly view of the page.
Thanks

May 28, 2008 at 10:02 AM
"Are We There Yet?"
Coordinator
May 28, 2008 at 12:49 PM
Wassini:

We'll post an announcement when we have something to release.  Until then, please stop bugging us.  We all have full time day jobs and are doing this on our own time as quickly as we can.  If you are so interested in the next release, please volunteer to help in some way.

Thanks,

Dave

Wassini wrote:
"Are We There Yet?"

May 28, 2008 at 7:46 PM
;-)

Will do...
Dec 29, 2008 at 5:13 AM
Hello,

Is there any tool that I can use to import mediawiki to sharepoint portal site? I found FlexWikiImporter, but looks specific to FlexWiki, can I use that for mediawiki as well? If so, what changes I need to do?

Thanks in advance,
Ram.
Dec 29, 2008 at 2:11 PM

Ram,

Not that I am aware of. Also note that I am working on a tool that will provide a little more functionality for the SharePoint WIKI. I hope to have it wrapped up by the second week of January. It will provide Table of contents abilities which should be extremely helpful.

Thanks,

Greg

Cirrus Ext. 4771

Sent: Monday, December 29, 2008 12:14 AM
To: McAllister, Greg
Subject: Re: EWE Beta 3 Feature List [CKS:23628]

Hello,

Is there any tool that I can use to import mediawiki to sharepoint portal site? I found FlexWikiImporter, but looks specific to FlexWiki, can I use that for mediawiki as well? If so, what changes I need to do?

Thanks in advance,
Ram.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (CKS@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email CKS@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jan 5, 2009 at 2:09 AM
Thanks Greg for the update, does your new tool provide the option to import the MediaWiki stuff to SharePoint wiki?
Jan 5, 2009 at 1:55 PM

No…I am merely trying to ensure that each new wiki starts with a table of contents and company logo.

Thanks,

Greg

Cirrus Ext. 4771

Sent: Sunday, January 04, 2009 9:10 PM
To: McAllister, Greg
Subject: Re: EWE Beta 3 Feature List [CKS:23628]

Thanks Greg for the update, does your new tool provide the option to import the MediaWiki stuff to SharePoint wiki?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (CKS@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email CKS@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com