EBE: Wanted features

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Mar 31, 2008 at 5:54 PM
Edited Mar 31, 2008 at 6:30 PM
Is the EBE to be further developed?

These are some of the things I've started to implement on my own EBE implementation.

• Most recent headlines (Example: Links to the 5 most recent blogposts)
  • Most recent comments (Example: Links to the 5 most recent comments)
  • Most popular blogposts by visits (Example: Links to the 5 most viewed blogposts)
  • Blogpost ratings (Example: A 1-5 scale of stars/ratings per blogpost)
  • Most popular blogposts by score (Example: Calculating the most popular posts based on the ratings)

Edit:
  • Also a nicely implemented searchbox with the searchresults displayed with the same theme etc.

Currently implemented a custom search.aspx which utilizes the SmallSearchInputBox delegate-control and hooking up that .aspx to the theme's masterpage in order to get a the correct theme/appearance. Currently working on the results page, making it utilize the theme aswell.
Note: Added the SmallSearchInputBox control both on the theme.Master aswell in order to search directly from any page.

Would be good to know what the plan for the EBE is, if anyone got the answer ;)
Developer
Mar 31, 2008 at 9:56 PM
Edited Apr 1, 2008 at 9:28 AM
Tobias,

The first two you can already do...there is a lot you can do with the EBE controls which isn't implemented in the default Themes.

Recent posts from my blog...
                        <EBE:SingleListQuery runat="server" Transform-XslName="Recent.xsl"
				            ListName = "Posts"  Transform-CacheHtml="True"
				            ViewFieldsXML = "<FieldRef Name='Title'/><FieldRef Name='PublishedDate'/><FieldRef Name='BlogTitleForUrl'/>"
				            QueryXML = "<OrderBy><FieldRef Name='PublishedDate' Ascending='FALSE'/></OrderBy>"/>

The other you can add to the Issue Tracker (as features) so that we don't forget them and people can vote on them.

Search you can get from Zevenseas

We are starting to plan the next version (v3.0) whilst working on the next release (v2.1).

--Vince
Apr 1, 2008 at 5:18 PM
Hi Vince,

Nice, didn't dig into it that much before I posted about the wanted featues ;)

Just noted that Zevenseas posted a message about their search addon.

As for the other wanted featues I'll kick up some Work Items.
Apr 2, 2008 at 10:05 PM
Vince has also a search enabled on his blog. Should be nice if he's willing to share how he implemented this one. The solution of ZevenSeas is a whole different approach then the search Vince has implemented. @Daniel McPherson (zevenseas) hope you're willing to do something about the css issue I'm facing. Modified some stuff in css and masterpage but the searchbox still won't appear at the correct place. My top menu is messed up now :-)
Apr 3, 2008 at 7:28 AM
The solution Zevenseas released is working more than well for me, and you can fix most positioning-issues with some proper xhtml/html tags and css.

As for the search results page, I'm currently implementing a custom search results page where the display of the search results will be more fitting for my theme than the currently implemented "standard sharepoint" interface. When/if I get the time to finish it I'll upload the source. - Probably much like Vince's implementation, at least to the looks..
Developer
Apr 6, 2008 at 8:03 AM
Hey folks,

Stoneford, I'm not real sure how best to tackle the problem you are seeing, drop me a line detailing what you would like to see and I will get onto it this week...
Developer
Apr 9, 2008 at 8:56 AM

Stoneford wrote:
Vince has also a search enabled on his blog. Should be nice if he's willing to share how he implemented this one. The solution of ZevenSeas is a whole different approach then the search Vince has implemented. @Daniel McPherson (zevenseas) hope you're willing to do something about the css issue I'm facing. Modified some stuff in css and masterpage but the searchbox still won't appear at the correct place. My top menu is messed up now :-)

The search control is in the release...its essentially an SPSiteDataQuery which looks at the title and the body, doing a <Contains>. Not overly effective, but better than nothing at the time.

<EBE:SearchBox/>
<EBE:SearchQuery />
<EBE:SearchResults />

--Vince