Comment Spam

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
May 1, 2008 at 6:49 PM
Greetings,

I have installed the latest CKS EBE and have noticed a ton of comment spam (more than 2000 now). Two things I have noticed. The comments list has approval enabled but the items are automatically being approved; without any interaction. The second is; how is some (or code) bypassing the CAPTCHA? With this many spam comments, I am assuming it is being done with some type of bot but I can't figure out how.

Anyone else run into this?

Thank you!
May 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM
Hi Bob,

Same story for me. Also it's a problem to remove the spam. I have to do this one by one.
Developer
May 2, 2008 at 10:43 PM
I'm not ignoring this, I am trying to think what it could be.

In the meantime you can use edit DataSheet to bult remove comments if you first temporarily remove the Approval from the list.

--Vince
May 3, 2008 at 9:08 AM
Hi guys,

I've got the same issue both with comments and trackbacks.
However I created a custom Timer Job to automatically delete comments and trackbacks with status set to pending once every 30 minutes.
Not a solid solution, but it works splendid for time being.

Just a tip ;)
May 14, 2008 at 8:46 AM
Hey guys,

I am using the datasheet view o remove the spam, both comments and tracebacks.

Can someone tell me the steps to disable these two features; at least until the problem is resolved?

Thank you!
Sep 5, 2008 at 6:53 PM
Sorry if I'm  bit late on this issue.  Has there been a fix to this problem....automatically approving comments?  I have set the approval request to YES, but I get no emails and still, all comments are being approved.

I am not a programmer.  This is really frusterating me.

Thanks.