CKS:IEE Unknown Error Creating Role

Topics: Internet/Extranet Edition
May 7, 2008 at 6:30 PM
Edited May 7, 2008 at 6:30 PM
I'm trying to create a new role using the _layouts/FBA/Managment/RoleNew.aspx page, but when I hit the "OK" button I get the overly helpful "Unknown Error" page. I looked at the code for the OnSubmit method and created a standalone ASPX page (that I put in the _layouts/FBA/Management folder) that did the same thing with enhanced error handling to see if I could figure out what the error was, but the stand alone page works and creates the roles.

Anyone have any clues/pointers/breadcrumbs/wishful thinking/obvious solutions/etc. that might help me out here?

Thanks,
Kyle
Jun 18, 2008 at 8:04 PM
I am getting the same error.  Here is the error message with stack trace set to true.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.   at CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication.RoleNew.OnSubmit(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
   at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:59 PM
I solved this problem...at least for me.  It involved two steps:

1. Changed the scope of the input variables from private to protected according to this post: http://www.codeplex.com/CKS/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=25572
2. Moved the <asp:Label ID="lblMessage"... above the <SharePoint:InputFormTextBox ID="txtRole"... in the RoleNew.aspx file.

Hope this helps someone else...

Thanks,
Kyle
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:27 PM
It probably would help me if I had the ability to edit the code behind.  (I don't have VS so I can't.)  any way to share your solution for those of us less fortunate?

Developer
Dec 10, 2008 at 7:28 PM

Hi, Visual Studio Express editions are free J

Sent: 10 December 2008 20:28
To: Anthony Sumner .PLANETWEB
Subject: Re: CKS:IEE Unknown Error Creating Role [CKS:27297]

It probably would help me if I had the ability to edit the code behind. (I don't have VS so I can't.) any way to share your solution for those of us less fortunate?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (CKS@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email CKS@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe or change your settings on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:11 PM
okay, got the visual studio express web developer edition, and I can now edit the files.  I am however running into tons of issues trying to get it into an installable state.  (Guess I don't know enough about how to compile it and package it into a wsp.)
Developer
Dec 11, 2008 at 3:05 PM
You should probably try the CKS:FBA branch, rather than the IEE branch.  However, changeset 17054 in IEE should build and work fairly well.  You're probably having troubles building the WSP because of how you're connecting to the repository.  Most of the devs use team explorer, so they don't have this problem, but I noticed some time back that the build scripts don't expect there to be .svn folders.  In the following link, I outline a fix to the two build scripts that should allow you to get a good build.  Basically is just skips over any folder named .svn.

http://www.codeplex.com/CKS/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=33325

Regards,
Mike Sharp
Feb 24, 2009 at 8:01 PM
Has anyone seen any update on fixing this for people that are not developers. I'm really looking for a way to resolve the issue without having to repackage(Because I don't know how to) and re-install the feature. At best I was able to do step two for ktillman's instruction. Heck I would be happy with that stand alone page that worked for him at this point.
Dec 3, 2009 at 7:49 PM
Edited Dec 3, 2009 at 8:19 PM

I'm new to SharePoint. How do I get to the roleNew.aspx.cs file? I can find roleNew.aspx in the _layouts folder but I can't find any code behind files. I am having this same issue and I need to fix it.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:43 PM

Nevermind. I figured it out.