windows Live setup

Topics: General/Misc.
May 7, 2008 at 10:09 PM
I have installed the Windows Live authentication provider on a new WSS 3.0 site. When I access the site, I'm prompted for my windowsLive ID and it looks like I'm authenticated fine. However, since my windows live ID hasn't yet been given access to the website, I'm denied at the web app and prompted to request access.

Since WindowsLive is the configured authentication provider, I'm not able to log in with other credentails to approve myself. I tried extending the web application and using windows authentication in our Intranet zone, but I'm still not able to approve the windowsLive ID. I've tried adding the windowslive ID as a application admin through the central configuration, but was denied saying there was no match for that ID.

How do I grant access to the windowslive ID?
May 7, 2008 at 11:16 PM
I'm seeing quite a few other folks running into the same issue ... perhapse a FAQ or installation note regarding the fix would be appropriate?
May 9, 2008 at 4:55 PM
Finally figured this out and got it working ... for those interested:

I started over and used the default zone with Windows authentication; then extended the application to the extranet zone and configured Windows Live / Forms authentication. (I'm not sure if it was necessary to have the windows authentication in the default zone, or if I could have actually made it work with the Forms authentication in the default zone ... ).

The web.config file for both zones required the membership and role provider information for LiveID; however only the extranet zone file has these listed as the default providers.

Once the WindowsLive profile was created/registered on the extranet site, I was able to go back into the default site and add the WindowsLive user.

The post on this site helped:!D648A94EEDB35657!1853.entry

Maybe in retrospect this should have been obvious, but it wasn't at the time.
Mar 2, 2009 at 2:28 AM
You just have to add the liveroles:Authenticated Live Users into the Visitors or Members group.  You really want Windows Authentication at the Default zone for search to work properly.