WLA: Value cannot be null

Topics: General/Misc.
Jun 24, 2008 at 12:54 PM
Edited Jun 24, 2008 at 1:41 PM
I have just installed Keith's WLID Authentication bit of the CKS. On my 1st attempt to access my site I was correctly redirected to a Windows Live login page. I don't know whether this is relevant, but when I clicked my LiveID email address (which was already being displayed beside the head & shoulders icon) it didn't ask me for a password but instead just said "Signing in...". I was then redirected back to my site but instead of seeing the usual stuff I was instead taken to the page "_layouts/liveauth-handler.aspx", which displayed the following error:

Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: value   at WindowsLive.WindowsLiveLogin.set_AppId(String value)
   at WindowsLive.WindowsLiveLogin..ctor(Boolean loadAppSettings)
   at CKS.WindowsLiveAuthentication.liveauthhandler..cctor()

Once this has happened any further attempt to browse to my site will immediately take me back to the error page detailed above. All I can do is close the browser and start afresh with a new browser instance.

The user profile list that is created from the parameters -profsite and -proflist is empty. Is there some step that I have to do to tie the WLID to a user profile? If so I didn't see that in the instructions. This is beyond my knowledge of SharePoint architecture - is it the case that for a user to connect with an account they must also have an associated profile? If so then there must be some means by which to associate the WLID with the profile - making that association appears to be a step that I am missing.

Can anyone help here?

Michael
Jun 25, 2008 at 3:03 PM
Solved. I had made a mistake when registering my application to Windows Live - I had given the return URL the wrong port number and so it was calling back through the wrong SharePoint web application which was then constructing a WindowsLiveLogin that was trying to get configuration data that didn't exist in its web.config file.