FBA detail configuration

Topics: Internet/Extranet Edition
Jul 21, 2008 at 10:07 AM
Edited Jul 21, 2008 at 10:09 AM
Hi,

I'm a newbie here. I don't really know how to configure FBA.

I want to add a forms based authentication.
When I want to test it out. I have a problem with the <membership> and <rolemanager>. How to configure these two? Is it ok by copying and pasting only? Because when I copy and paste that part to my web.config of the central administration, I get an error when I click the application management.
Page: http://sharepoint/_admin/applications.aspx
Error message: Unknown error.

Please help.
Jul 22, 2008 at 2:38 AM
Any web.config sample?
Developer
Jul 24, 2008 at 7:10 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2008 at 8:04 AM
The best way to configure well the FBA is to follow the excellent post by Dan Attis: http://www.devcow.com/blogs/jdattis/archive/2007/02/23/Office-SharePoint-Server-2007-Forms-Based-Authentication-FBA-Walkthrough-Part-1.aspx

Pay attention to where do you paste those tags. They MUST go inside the "connectionStrings" elements (for connection strings) and "system.web" (for the providers).

Jul 24, 2008 at 2:51 PM
Hi like the previous post I too am a newbie here i was wondering how do i convert the latest source code of FBA into a solution file (wsp).is there a download i go to or instructions i could follow, or (i know this is presumptious but) would some one be able to email me the wsp. the download still reports the one from Oct/Nov but i have found some quirks and would like to see the improvements that have been made, thanks in advance ;)
Nov 5, 2008 at 2:20 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2008 at 8:30 AM
hi,

after installing FBA successfully, also figuring out how to get FBAManagementSelf Feature activated i'm struggling with the Webpartpages.

1. I can't find the Admin Web Parts - there are just the FBAManagementSelf Ones available.
2. When i'm trying to put one of those on my webpartpage it displays something like "this page contains invalid content or invalid formatting" - but that is all the information i get. That means i can't save those pages nor use them either.

Can you help me out with this?

Joe
Developer
Nov 10, 2008 at 4:38 PM
I'm not sure what could be causing #2, but you need to be a site collection administrator to see the links for FBA user management.  They're not web parts; they're actually admin pages.  Go to Site Actions > Site Settings.  The links will be in the first column under Users and Permissions.

There are some configuration settings on those pages, too.

Regards,
Mike Sharp