Project Sleeping?

Topics: Corporate Intranet Edition, General/Misc., Internet/Extranet Edition
Jul 22, 2008 at 2:07 PM
Is this project sleeping like many other SharePoint projects on CodePlex? Sorry for whining and I know we shouldn't expect too much - after all it is free - but I think SharePoint could be a much bigger thing if these good ideas really would be finished off and usable. For instance the FBA thing would save huge amounts of time if it was made simpler. Actually, I think it would be a good move by Microsoft to invest some manpower into these projects to get them running or even completed. At the moment it just looks like several people had good ideas and started off - but then lost interest.
Jul 22, 2008 at 4:52 PM
I agree and have posted similar comments here as well as digging around to find emails for project leaders and sending personal pleas to do something. I regally check the status of IEE:FBA and have become rather sad about its state. I also agree that FBA in WSS 3 should be as simple as select a database and turn it on. The amount of mucking about with configuration files and hokey web-parts is appalling.
Jul 23, 2008 at 7:35 AM
Thanks Nisky, for the reply. Although it takes away hope that there will be further releases done here. My sad guess is, that open source projects just can't work in a Microsoft environment, since everyone runs off when paid project come along or when they aren't interested anymore. It can only work if Microsoft pays people to contribute. My problem is me not being into all of this deep enough to be able to do coding for such a project - so I'm quite helpless (and expect a few thousand others to have similar problems).

So, the projects where discontinued without any notice :-(
Developer
Jul 23, 2008 at 3:35 PM
It's too much to say that the projects are discontinued. We're still developing these editions, although at a slower pace and focused mainly on fixing bugs and stabilizing those betas for production readiness. But, sadly, real life pressures takes away that valuable free time. I'm speaking for myself as a developer member of CKS:IEE and CKS:CIE now, but I know that other team members are in the same situation.

However, if any of you has SharePoint developer experience / CSS branding experience (or just time and willing to do something), you can contribute to the project. We're not a bunch of MS guys or some semi-secret guild, we're just a (very dispersed) group of SharePoint professionals that want to extend the product pain points and to involve all of you who are interested in it. We had very low response when we started this project more than a year ago. We're still short of people but we do as we can.

Jul 23, 2008 at 10:44 PM
Edited Jul 23, 2008 at 10:45 PM
It seems then that some re-prioritization is overdue. If you have only a few developers to work with, then have everyone pile onto one project or feature and bang it out. I see no other way. But the problem is (I'm guessing) there's no central evangelistic uberdeveloper to rally the troops and get focused on a single objective. Rather, we have an anarchy of pet projects. Too bad...time to have a martini I guess....
Developer
Sep 1, 2008 at 11:18 AM
Hi,

If you can build from Change set 15235 or even the lastest, the FBA code is much improved. I and at least one other intend to merge our changes and fixes. The most important task is to get a downloadable and installable release rather than having to download and build code.

Anthony
Sep 1, 2008 at 11:23 AM
A newer installable release would be great news. Thanks for your efforts!
(I am not able to build from change set)

Magganpice
Developer
Sep 1, 2008 at 12:53 PM

Check out Mike Smith (rdcpro) , he has a WSP build on offer, though I couldn’t find the post he mentioned it on. He’s also just joined the project and together we hope to get a release out.

http://www.codeplex.com/CKS/People/ProjectPeople.aspx

Anthony