EBE: Email address is collected when posting comments - where is email address stored?

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Aug 20, 2008 at 1:34 PM
When a user wants to submit a comment on the blog they need to enter in an email address but when the comments are submitted where's the email address stored?
Developer
Aug 21, 2008 at 3:31 PM

I was going to say "in the comments list, of course" but then I checked.  Lo and behold, it wasn't there.  There isn't a column for it either.  But in the code in CommentForm.cs, it does attempt to set the EmailAddress field:

try
{
    oNew["EmailAddress"] = EmailVal;
}
catch (Exception ex)
{
    Debug.WriteLine(ex);
}

So, I added a new column to the Comments list, called it EmailAddress, and now new comments show up in the list with an email.  Of course, the email address doesn't show up in the blog, because EmailAddress isn't in the query.

I wonder if this was an oversight, or if there was some reason they didn't want to store email addresses.  Maybe TheKid will chime in here.  Anyway, it's easy to fix. 

Regards,
Mike Sharp

Aug 21, 2008 at 7:59 PM
Thanks for the response.

Is there some special trick you did?  I created a new field directly on the Comments list (as opposed to using Add from existing site columns), set it as a single line text field and called it "EmailAddress" -- then created a new comment.  Nothing.

Am I missing something here?

-John
Developer
Aug 21, 2008 at 10:58 PM
That's exactly what I did. 

I just looked at the version history, and TheKid added that functionality in changeset 11382 on May 20.  I guess  you're using the 2.0 release from March?

TheKid mentioned last week he was very close to a new release for EBE, though, so if you don't want to get the source yourself and compile, I think he'll have a new one soon.  For all I know, the EmailAddress column will be in that new version, too.

Regards,
Mike Sharp
Oct 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Just found this post searching for the Email-Address issue...

I'm using the latest (downloaded at 10.10.2009) version but there is no EmailAddress column in the comments list. After creation those column.... still nothing. Any other ideas?

regards

Oct 15, 2009 at 10:31 PM

Just found this post searching for the Email-Address issue...

I'm using the latest (downloaded at 10.10.2009) version but there is no EmailAddress column in the comments list. After creation those column.... still nothing. Any other ideas?

regards

Oct 16, 2009 at 10:18 AM

HI rdcpro

I just saw that the latest solution package is from march last year, but there are a lot of changes in the code since las march... like this issue here. So i donwloaded the code, build a new assembly... and it works.... !!!

I think, it's time for a new bugfixed solution package for all the users which aren't developer...

regards