Newbie question: How to force changes to EBE:Home.aspx

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Aug 27, 2008 at 7:32 PM
Edited Aug 27, 2008 at 7:33 PM
Hello, I'd like to make changes to TEMPLATE\FEATURES\CKS EBE\Pages\*

How do I force those changes on an existing site? New sites take up the changes fine.

Thank you.
Developer
Aug 27, 2008 at 9:19 PM
I'm not sure about the CKS:EBE, but take a backup of the site, and then try deactivating and reactivating the feature on that site.  I haven't done a thorough test, so be aware that deactivating the feature might delete the content (you can look in the source code under the featureDeactivating event handler to see).  Try this in dev first or take a good backup (that you're certain can be restored!) first. 

You may be able to run the upgrade script on the site, too.  But, get a good backup first!  ;^)

Regards,
Mike Sharp
Aug 27, 2008 at 11:43 PM
Thanks, Mike.  I've tried deactivate-activate from the Site level as well as from the WebApp level (also did from the command line with -force parameter).  I did iisreset in between as well, no joy.  I think I just need the right sequence of commands...
Developer
Aug 28, 2008 at 3:35 AM

Did you try the upgrade script?  I had difficulties getting it to update the site, but that was before I found that the solution file wasn't getting created right.  So I made a few changes, and uninstalling and re-installing did the trick.  I added these lines to install.bat immediately after it sets the path to stsadm.exe, in order to retract and uninstall the old solution:

echo Removing old solution

%stsadm% -o deactivatefeature -filename "CKS EBE WebApp\feature.xml" -url "%webappurl%" -force
%stsadm% -o deactivatefeature -filename "CKS EBE\feature.xml" -url "%blogsiteurl%" -force

%stsadm% -o uninstallfeature -filename "CKS EBE WebApp\feature.xml" -force
%stsadm% -o uninstallfeature -filename "CKS EBE\feature.xml" -force

%stsadm% -o retractsolution -name CKS.EBE.wsp -immediate
%stsadm% -o execadmsvcjobs
%stsadm% -o deletesolution -name CKS.EBE.wsp -override

Also, in order to get a clean build, I had to make some changes to the two vb scripts that make the solution file.  The changes exclude the .svn directories from the manifest and cabinet file. 

At the very end of createmanifest.vbs, I changed the recursive function like:

for each oSub in oFolder.SubFolders
        if (Instr(oSub.Path, "_tfs")=0 and oSub.Name <> ".svn") then
              EnumFolder oSub.Path, sRelativePath + oSub.Name
        end if
    next

end sub

And I did something similar at the end of CreateCabDDF.vbs:

for each oSub in oFolder.SubFolders
        if (oSub.Name <> ".svn") then
            EnumFolder oSub.Path, sRelativePath + oSub.Name
        end if
    next

end sub

Regards,
Mike Sharp

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:50 AM
Thanks for the replies, Mike.   I'll try this.  But I'm afraid I'm going to get a GAC error installing my new .wsp  (I posted another thread http://www.codeplex.com/CKS/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=34437)
Developer
Aug 28, 2008 at 6:50 AM
If you're using SVNBridge, and TortoiseSVN, you're probably going to have the .svn folder issue, which will mess up your WSP unless you make those changes above.  And check the visual studio post build events...it seems to me there was a problem there too...but I can't remember for sure.  

Anyway, you might find things work out ok, as long as you get a good WSP.  I was able to get some changes pushed out to a blog site.

If you can't get it going, send me an email, and I'll upload my latest WSP to a sharepoint site that you can download it from.  My email name is rdcpro and the mail domain is hotmail.com.

Regards,
Mike Sharp

Aug 28, 2008 at 6:47 PM

I'm using no SVN software (should I be?)... yes I did get an error on the PostBuild events:  "Command ..... exited with code 1"

I need to look into this deeper... I'll let you know what happens... Thanks again.

Developer
Aug 29, 2008 at 6:25 AM
I think that PostBuild error is due to the .svn folders being present.  See my post at 7:35pm for the fix.

Mike