Custom Web part in EBE

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Aug 29, 2008 at 5:22 PM
I am trying to extend EBE to develop an application which will have some more custom web parts and work flow associated  for example each post has a workflow associated which user can enable  and so I was wondering if I can add custom web part or custom web pages in EBE.

I hope I can add web parts directly to individual Master Page in Themes or additional Aspx page with added functionality through the source (is there a developer guide for the code )..

Sep 9, 2008 at 4:03 PM
Any updates?
Sep 9, 2008 at 9:13 PM
eh..

I am modifying the solution to add more pages and customize it.. it is pretty simple to do that, for most part EBE: List query web part works just fine, I needed custom input forms. Also I found out you cannot change list names of any instantiated Lists. so I have a written a utility class to handle changes in list names.

I will update here once I am done with all the task and tests
Sep 11, 2008 at 1:36 PM
So you were not able to just add your custom web parts to the default page?
Sep 23, 2008 at 4:31 PM
I have found that you can not simply add any existing OTB weparts into the EBE.  As well, I am attempting to find a simple way to add another column (on the left) in the Intensive Theme.
Developer
Oct 13, 2008 at 10:43 PM
By default the EBE does not use webparts (they interfere with the designs), but there is nothing to stop you adding your own.

You would ned to mosify the master page or the aspx pages to add a web part zone. Once you do this it will behave in the same way as any other web part page.

HTH, Vince
Oct 14, 2008 at 12:09 AM
you need to be carefull if you want to modfiy  the pages in the solution. ... also you can add custom user controls and reference in aspx pages in document library
Developer
Oct 14, 2008 at 8:58 AM
Modifying the pages should be fine. If you use SPD and unghost them then you will not be affected by updates. If you change them in the feature then you want to be careful you have them backed up if you upgrade,

Personally I think if you are doing a lot of blogs then I would create a copy of the EBE feature and make your changes to that.

--Vince
Oct 14, 2008 at 4:45 PM
Edited Oct 14, 2008 at 4:49 PM
Right, upgrade is going to be tricky...  Idid createa copy of the solution which wasnt smooth, because that required change of namespace.. http handlers,web config, resource files, features and all dependent files.

I also noticed changing the list names causes it to fail  So i added a utility/common class to this solution.and all list calls are made using this code.
 I havent tested it to full extent, I believe it fails once you changed the list name and trying to deactivate feature. Not sure.if you want to add it

class Utility
    {
        public static SPList GetList(SPWeb Web, string ListName)
        {
            try{

return Web.Lists[ListName];

}
            catch
            {

return Web.GetList(Web.ServerRelativeUrl + "/Lists/" + ListName);
            }
        }
    }