Relation to EBE and Blog Site?

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Sep 11, 2008 at 10:51 PM
I'm a little confused as to the significance of having to create a blog site before installing the Enhanced Blog Edition.

Do you need to create a site, or a site collection? Once created, is that the only blog that gets the EBE or do all future blog sites use the EBE? Does this have to be done per site collection or just once per farm?
Developer
Sep 12, 2008 at 7:22 AM
You need to create a blog site (web), not necessarily a site collection.  When you run the installer, you specify the web application and the URL of the blog site that is the target.  That's how install.bat knows which blog site to apply the extensions to.  Only that one blog site will get the features.

Regards,
Mike Sharp
Sep 15, 2008 at 7:09 PM
Mike:

Thanks! So, I guess we need to rethink using this. I can't see having to install this each and every time one of our users wants a blog.

Developer
Sep 16, 2008 at 1:19 AM

To be honest, I really don't know the reasoning behind that behavior, and I've been wondering about that myself.  You could probably attach to the blog site template feature and using the FeatureActivated event, run the extensions on top.  The only caveat is that you might find the site is not fully provisioned when the FeatureActivated event runs...I've noticed this when trying to modify group membership.

Mike

Sep 22, 2008 at 3:02 PM
Yea, I'm a bit bummed. Not to knock the project in anyway, as it's great to have, but it's just not going to be practical for us to implement in our set up if it has to be installed for each blog created. There's just no way for us to govern that given the limited size of our resources.

I do hope MS considers bringing all of this into a future release. I really would love to have true Blogs, Wikis, etc, rather than the current 'so called' ones that come out of the box but really pale in comparison to dedicated blog and wiki engines.
Developer
Oct 13, 2008 at 9:49 PM
The EBE is a feature of the blog site and so it does have to be 'Activated' (from Site Settings) for each blog.

The next release allows you to create your own blog site template and activate the feature in that template. It also allows you to define the themes at a site collection level, not just the web level.

HTH, Vince