FBA WSP File

Sep 22, 2008 at 8:21 PM
The WSP File found for FBA Management (http://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=CKS&ReleaseId=7675#ReviewsAnchor) is as of Oct. 12, 2007, but it looks like changes have been made since then. I downloaded the source code, but am having issues trying to create the WSP file for FBA. Can anyone send me the WSP file for FBA? I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks!
Nick
Sep 22, 2008 at 8:45 PM
I should have been more specific. I'm looking for the latest FBAManagement.wsp if anyone has that available.

Thanks!!
Nick
Developer
Sep 22, 2008 at 9:31 PM
I have one based on changeset 17054, but it also includes my version of the OnCreatedUser changes to support automatic registration approval that Anthony implemented in changeset 17271.  It's the version I currently have in production (I haven't yet synched up with the latest version of source since Zac re-organized things).

You can contact me via email if you'd like to try it out.  My user name is rdcpro and the email server is hotmail.

Regards,
Mike Sharp
Sep 23, 2008 at 8:46 AM
Why doesn't anyone release a new WSP for download? It can only be better than the one from october 2007 that people are downloading now...
Developer
Sep 23, 2008 at 1:57 PM
Edited Sep 23, 2008 at 1:59 PM
Hi,

It's not released because we are trying to get a final together. Having said that we have fixed so many things what bugs are left are probably annoyances, and the latest builds are certainly worth replacing the October release.

Anthony
Sep 24, 2008 at 3:38 AM
Agreed, "certainly worth replacing". YES!
Sep 24, 2008 at 10:49 AM
So? Anyone here with rights to do that?
Were waiting for a newer WSP here: http://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=CKS&ReleaseId=7675

(even if it still has some bugs)
Sep 26, 2008 at 8:58 AM
Edited Sep 26, 2008 at 9:01 AM
Sorry, but this is just starting to get ridiculous. You can't tell me that it is such a thing to get a newer WSP out there on that page than the October 2007 one. People are having to e-mail WSPs around the world and many people just need to be able to get a version with fixed issues. Is the problem a permission problem? Is the only person with correct permission on vacation? What is stopping this replacement? Waiting for the perfect end version? A "perfect" end version is not worth much if the whole project is so lame.

Sorry, but there is a much newer version already out there but just kept away from users. Instead they are fed with an old buggy version.

I know some people are giving a lot of time into this project, please respect that by making their work available to the people who need it. My thanks goes out to all the developers out there, I'm just getting frustrated after watching this project over weeks and seeing developers fix things but the people responsible for publishing a newer WSP seem to be nowhere around.

I for myself have received a WSP per e-mail and am thankful for that - but e-mailing around just seems so much like a manual approach which won't really scale.

Sorry for sounding negative.
Developer
Sep 26, 2008 at 10:31 AM
Hi Magganpice

I've been fixing and using the core code from Feb 2008, I too got the October release and fell apart! Fortunately, several developers have recently joined the project myself included and all we are waiting for now is to confirm amongst ourselves that our fixes are stable. At least one code fix of mine was released in source but isn't in the project so we do have bit more checking before we throw up the new WSP. In general we are using the FBA in deployments in slightly differnet ways so we have more unfamiliar tests to conclude. There is at least one bug that we are trying remove as it will break EBE, and that is in use by a very large number of people today and to release it with this bug would be irresponsible, so we are so close, the best way we can keep everyone ahead is to encourage users to take and build the source. 

I for one have just finished a client delivery and I'm looking to take the very latest changset build it up and test it from scratch so we can fix the release at a decent beta level, and certainly not break unrelated apps!

Anthony
Sep 26, 2008 at 1:35 PM
Hi Anthony

Thanks for your explanation. Do you have a date you expect the newer WSP to be ready?
Developer
Sep 26, 2008 at 4:29 PM
I'm going to be working on the EBE bug today (it's still early in the day Pacific Time)...I know I keep sounding like a broken record (does anyone remember those?) but assuming we get the last clunker bugs fixed, I think we'll have a beta release for testing published this weekend or Monday.  I don't know of anything else that would stop us.  My biggest obstacle at the moment is getting Visual Studio 2008 installed on my dev server, which is sitting in a datacenter about 12 miles away...I have to run over there with the DVD later today.  :(

Regards,
Mike Sharp
Sep 26, 2008 at 4:43 PM
Can you not share you DVD drive to not have to run 12 miles? :-) That's how I do it when I don't want to run to our server room...
(if simple file share does not work, you can share local drives through the Remote Desktop Tool)

Thanks for the work on FBA.
Developer
Sep 26, 2008 at 5:55 PM
I can share it, but my connection in my home office isn't all that good.  The last time I tried to share a local drive via remote desktop, it took several hours to copy VS2005 up, and that was from a clien't site with relatively good access.  My servers are pretty well connected, but I always seem to be on the wrong side of a bandwidth throttle.

Even so, I'd probably just start copying the ISO, but I have a patch to apply to one of the other servers, which requires me to be present to "press F1 to continue", so I gotta go over there regardless.

Believe it or not, we'd like to get a new release out there too! ;^)

Mike
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:56 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2008 at 8:57 PM
Any progress, I too downloaded beta 1.0 and now have a production site kind of working, I think it's more irresponsible not to have a warning or comment about Beta 1.0 before you download it. I wouldn't have installed the latest release as it states on the main page if I know there was so many problems and wasn't even updated to the fixes out there. Now, I have a site thats buggy. These sites have run without fail since the first non-Community release of FBA, I finally was ready to update my servers FBA and now look what happends.

I need a current wsp or atleast how to make one from the source code ASAP. We're not all programmers.