FBA Management under Site Settings.

Sep 26, 2008 at 4:06 PM
Hi friends,

I have deleted my Site Collection and then i have created it again, after this work i have been deployed again FBA Management and the component is working good but i can't see the Admin Zone links (FBA User Management, FBA Member Request Management, etc.). Do you know what can i do?, best regards.

Miguel.
Developer
Sep 26, 2008 at 4:23 PM
Add your FBA user to Site Collection Administrators.  I know this isn't intuitive, but it's a required permission for the User Information List, and so all the Admin features require it as well.

Regards,
Mike Sharp
Sep 26, 2008 at 6:23 PM
Hello Mike,

I have 2 FBA users, "fbaadmin" and "miguelin", both are included in Owners of Site Collection but they aren't Site Collection Administrators. If i add "fbaadmin" as secondary administrator of Site Collection, could "miguelin" access to Admin features?

Regards
Developer
Sep 26, 2008 at 7:51 PM
If you add fbaadmin as a secondary site collection  admin, then yes, you could log in as fbaadmin, go to site settings and under the Users and Permissions group, you'll see a Site Collection Administrators link that wasn't there before.  You can add other FBA users to the site collection admins group here.  Just another one of those "less than obvious" menu items that SharePoint is so famous for.  ;^)

A while ago I made a ton of code changes because I wanted Owners to be able to manage membership.  It was quite painful as I worked my way through the object model fixing things.  Then I discovered the User Information List had the Site Collection Admin requirement...Since that's a SharePoint core function, I didn't want to change that so I gave up that approach.

Regards,
Mike Sharp

Sep 29, 2008 at 3:48 PM
I hope I stay in the discussion...
You can add users with full access on each zone of each application in Central administration > Application Management > Policy for Web application. That's where I put my FBA admin. Or is it a bad idea ?
Developer
Sep 29, 2008 at 4:12 PM
The only negative I can think of is that whoever would do this must have access to Central Admin.  I'd guess that's probably the only reason why the Site Collection Admins group is in the Site Settings page, and not Central Admin. 

Mike