Solution: How to add attachment to blog post

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Oct 24, 2008 at 6:41 PM

As there is no direct way to upload an attachment for a post, I customized the page.

Instead of customization, we can simply do it if you follow below steps:

a. Go to DefaulTemplates.ascx file under C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\Templates\ControlTemplates
b. Search for BlogNewFormToolBar template Id
c. You should be able to see the below tags
    <SharePoint:RenderingTemplate ID="BlogNewFormToolBar" runat="server">
       <Template>
          <wssuc:ToolBar CssClass="ms-toolbar" id="toolBarTbl" RightButtonSeparator="&nbsp;" runat="server">
               <Template_Buttons>
                            <SharePoint:AttachmentButton runat="server"/>    
               </Template_Buttons>
          </wssuc:ToolBar>
      </Template>
    </SharePoint:RenderingTemplate>
d.  Add  <SharePoint:AttachmentButton runat="server"/> between <Template_Buttons> tags as shown above.
e.  Reset IIS - May not be required in all cases.
f.   Go to new blog post page and check the toolbar on the top. You should be able to see @Attach File link

Reference for this information:
     http://jonathanpmast.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!50782F8FDA1E73DA!262.entry
     http://jonathanpmast.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!50782F8FDA1E73DA!263.entry

I hope this post will save most of your time if you don't know this information.

Nov 14, 2008 at 9:23 PM
Thanks for sharing. I did see Jonathan's posts before but it didn't work for me.

I just tried again.. still not working...

Any insight?

Thanks!
Nov 15, 2008 at 4:06 PM
This may not be what you are looking for, but if you use Windows Live Writer, you can easily add attachments to your post. They show up as links in the body of the post, rather than the "usual" SharePoint way, listed at the bottom of the item. But they're there. You can also copy and paste images into your posts, something you can't do directly in SharePoint. Using Live Writer with SharePoint is very easy. It's the only way I post now. I just wish I could use it with wikis!
-Tom
Aug 19, 2009 at 3:09 PM
sillygoose wrote:
Thanks for sharing. I did see Jonathan's posts before but it didn't work for me.

I just tried again.. still not working...

Any insight?

Thanks!

Verify that you don't have file backups of DefaulTemplates.ascx file. If you have more than one (no matter if it has different names) you will not see any differences.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:50 PM

Not to resurrect a solved issue, but I did just notice that my old blog was referenced in this post.  If anyone has any questions about the solution please feel free to get in touch with me.  My blog has since moved and the post can be found here.