Error with FORMS Authentication and MS Office Integration (Only on Vista)

Topics: General/Misc.
Nov 3, 2008 at 7:52 PM
Edited Nov 3, 2008 at 7:53 PM
HI.
I have one big problem (maybe it’s not so big). I configure my WSS for FORMS authentication. I have configured http handlers for Office Application integration.  Every think seems to work fine, but I have problem with saving word documents under OS Vista.  On XP it works fine.
When I try to save document unde vista, after I select where to save file, it do something and then word shows me this messagebox :  There has been a network or file permission error. The network connection may be lost. (link to the file).

After that, when I look to the Shared Document library, I can see that document, but without content. Only it created file.

Does anybody know where can be problem? This problem is only on editing via Windows Vista.
We run WSS on Windows 2003.
Thank you very much for answers.

I found this in events log (maybe it's not good clue):

The description for Event ID 14800 from source MRxDAV cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\test10.wss3.eu\DavWWWRoot\Shared Documents\Test2.d
Developer
Nov 5, 2008 at 3:55 AM
Support with Vista is, unfortunately, hit or miss.  I have two more or less identical installations of Vista...one works well, the other doesn't.

Vista made one significant change that can affect you if you use fully qualified domain names.  It abandoned WinINET in favor of WinHTTP.  The problem with that is WinHTTP doesn't know about trusted sites, so office integration is not necessarily going to work. 

With forms authentication, office integration is turned off by default, and if you turn it on, and it doesn't work, Microsoft is only going to offer limited support.  They have a couple of fixes, but say that if it doesn't work, so sorry.  I can't seem to find the KB article that discusses the workarounds, but one of them had to do with configuring the webdav redirector, which might help your case.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262201.aspx:

"For forms-based authentication, client integration is disabled by default. When client integration is disabled, links to client applications are not visible and documents cannot be opened in client applications; documents can only be opened in a Web browser. However, users can download documents, edit them in client applications locally, and then upload them to the site.

Client integration is disabled by default when you use forms-based authentication. This is because client integration does not natively support forms-based authentication. You might be able to use many client integration features with forms-based authentication, and there are workarounds available to implement varying levels of client integration functionality with forms-based authentication. However, if published workarounds are inadequate, or if you find unexpected issues using workarounds, we do not provide support and there are no product changes to address these issues. If you plan to use client integration with forms-based authentication, you must fully test any available solutions or workarounds to determine if the performance and functionality are acceptable in your environment.

Product Support can provide commercially reasonable support to help you troubleshoot published workarounds."

Are you doing this with the SharePoint UI, or saving via an Office document?

Regards,
Mike Sharp

Nov 5, 2008 at 3:27 PM
Hi, thanks for answer.
I'm saving via Word Document, because I can open word document via IE because of CKS Http module is implemented in the web config. But Only save doesn't work.
bye
Rado Robes.
Developer
Nov 10, 2008 at 4:22 PM
I think you'll need to investigate/find that article that helps you configure the webdav redirector, or else get Microsoft Support to help.

Unfortunately, Office integration on Vista with forms authentication is not going to be reliable, in my opinion.  

Regards,
Mike Sharp