Summary for updating FBA Management from source?

Nov 19, 2008 at 8:23 PM
Edited Nov 19, 2008 at 9:22 PM
I'm planning on updating the FBA management with the latest build (18292 unless something else is recommended) and wanted to make sure I'm not about to screw something up:

1. I downloaded the latest source onto my personal computer (not the server), used wspbuilder to create folders and then created the .wsp.  I got a 31kb CKS.FBA.wsp compared to the 96 from the October 2007 release. Which means I should have the latest Deploy, UnDeploy, Upgrade and wsp files without actually having to build the project?

2. WSS3 only; currently using the October 2007 release; no other CKS components installed.  There are active FBA sites extended from AD sites, with FBA users.  Will upgrading still recognize the existing users or will those have to be re-entered?  What about their alerts?

3. I'm assuming the proper method to upgrade is to use Upgrade.cmd?

4. Any other cautions? 

Thanks.
Nov 25, 2008 at 7:45 PM
how do you create the wsp?

Can someone please put an all in one install guide together, I was on the very first version of FBA before the Community Kit projects, I upgraded to Beta 1.0 with many problems (current still at 1.0)
I'd like to go to Beta 2.5 and hope to god my problems are fixed. How do I do this? Without it being a release.
Developer
Nov 26, 2008 at 4:05 AM
Edited Nov 26, 2008 at 4:06 AM
Hi,

Sorry to hear you are having problems. I've just got some time back to help people out. We've been working on a single step FBA installer for all those out there who struggle to setup the FBA Internet facing site. I know I don't relish the thought each time I have to setup a new install.

From scratch the 18292 should be installed fresh, not upgraded. I'll update that message!

Anthony

Nov 26, 2008 at 12:37 PM
jbenisek - this is how I did it, but I haven't installed it to see if it works:
1. Once you extract the source code, start in the FBA folder and start digging down till you find a folder with WSPBuilder.exe
2. Open a command prompt, go into the folder the WSPBuilder file is in
3. Run "wspbuilder -12path:./12"
4. The .wsp file should be in the FBA folder.

Does anyone know if a reinstall of the CKS:FBA features will continue to work with an existing FBA site?
Nov 26, 2008 at 10:58 PM

I will try this, I will uninstall the current 1.0 solution and do the 2.5 version. I have 4 days to fix and have everything working.

Sent: Wednesday, November 26, 2008 6:37 AM
To: Jeremy Benisek
Subject: Re: Summary for updating FBA Management from source? [CKS:40313]

jbenisek - this is how I did it, but I haven't installed it to see if it works:
1. Once you extract the source code, start in the FBA folder and start digging down till you find a folder with WSPBuilder.exe
2. Open a command prompt, go into the folder the WSPBuilder file is in
3. Run "wspbuilder -12path:./12"
4. The .wsp file should be in the FBA folder.

Does anyone know if a reinstall of the CKS:FBA features will continue to work with an existing FBA site?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (CKS@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email CKS@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Nov 26, 2008 at 11:23 PM
Howdy - I am poised to do an upgrade from the Beta 1.0 version as well. I too have an extranet with existing "FBA" users and forms w/web parts. What is the best method of rolling back the existing solution and then re-deploying the newer version? Good luck to all, and thanks for any feedback.
Developer
Nov 27, 2008 at 8:43 AM
Edited Nov 27, 2008 at 8:49 AM
Hi errantknave, and others! DO NOT UNINSTALL FBA Beta 1.0 :)

If you are refering to Beta 1.0 of FBA it is a distinct project. Beta 2.5 is for the CKS 2.0 Editions. When you download the source code you will see a whole slew of projects, the FBA project is useable entirely on its own. The same is true for the 2.0 Editions such as the EBE etc, they do not require the FBA Beta 1.0, unless you want to expose any one of the CKS projects using Forms Based Authentication.

If you have a CKS 2.0 project for example the Blog Edition and want to try the Beta 2.5, the FBA installed (especially if you have FBA Beta 1.0, stays as is).

Anthony 
Nov 30, 2008 at 9:38 PM
Edited Dec 2, 2008 at 3:22 PM

I did this and uninstalled all old FBA beta 1 and installed current build. I still had some errors and fixed some on the fly.

However, I cannot change password, just gives login screen and wont change even if logged in but only for some accounts. I do use encryption for my password storage format.

Also I can’t access User Management of users created before this update was installed, therefore I can’t change password, or modify all my current users. I get this error.

“Object reference not set to an instance of an object.”

Can’t do access user management at all from my intranet(AD) is this right? Also my FBA Requested Access waiting for approval list can be accessed by Anonymous users without logging in. Why?

I’m still working on other issues and testing.

Below is the last deploy I ran after I figured out how to get around these errors. After running deploy with these changes in red it didn’t error out. However, I need to know if the –force command shows there is still a problem with my features. Could these errors cause my above problems?

11/29/2008  09:18 PM    <DIR>          .

11/29/2008  09:18 PM    <DIR>          ..

11/29/2008  09:18 PM    <DIR>          12

11/29/2008  09:15 PM           108,544 CabLib.dll

11/29/2008  09:18 PM    <DIR>          Code

11/29/2008  09:15 PM               459 CodeDeploy.cmd

11/29/2008  09:15 PM             1,162 Deploy.cmd

11/29/2008  09:15 PM               596 FBAKey.snk

11/29/2008  09:18 PM    <DIR>          FBASaveButton CUT

11/29/2008  09:15 PM            13,948 FormsBasedAuthentication.csproj

11/29/2008  09:15 PM               257 FormsBasedAuthentication.csproj.vspscc

11/29/2008  09:15 PM           372,736 Mono.Cecil.dll

11/29/2008  09:18 PM    <DIR>          Properties

11/29/2008  09:17 PM                38 solutionid.txt

11/29/2008  09:15 PM               764 UnDeploy.cmd

11/29/2008  09:15 PM               164 Upgrade.cmd

11/29/2008  09:15 PM           274,432 WSPBuilder.exe

11/29/2008  09:15 PM             2,044 WSPBuilder.exe.config

12 File(s)        775,144 bytes

6 Dir(s)  46,322,302,464 bytes free

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>deploy http

://www.blytheprojects.com

Deploying FBAManagement solution

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o d

eactivatefeature -name FBAManagementSelf -url http://www.blytheprojects.com -for

ce

Operation completed successfully.

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o d

eactivatefeature -name FBAManagementAdmin -url http://www.blytheprojects.com -fo

rce

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o u

ninstallfeature -name FBAManagementSelf -force

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o u

ninstallfeature -name FBAManagementAdmin -force

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o r

etractsolution -name CKS.FBA.wsp -immediate -url http://www.blytheprojects.com ß Removed

This solution contains no resources scoped for a Web application and cannot be r

etracted from a particular Web application.

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o e

xecadmsvcjobs

Executing job-watson-trigger.

Executing job-antivirus.

eletesolution -name CKS.FBA.wsp -override

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o a

ddsolution -filename c:\CKS.FBA.wsp

CKS.FBA.wsp: The specified file was not found.

eploysolution -name CKS.FBA.wsp -immediate -allowgacdeployment -force -url http:

//www.blytheprojects.com

"CKS.FBA.wsp" does not exist in the solution store.

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o e

xecadmsvcjobs

Executing job-watson-trigger.

Executing job-antivirus.

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o i

nstallfeature -name FBAManagementSelf -force

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o i

nstallfeature -name FBAManagementAdmin -force

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>stsadm -o a

ctivatefeature -name FBAManagementSelf -url http://www.blytheprojects.com

ctivatefeature -name FBAManagementAdmin -url http://www.blytheprojects.com -force

Dependency feature with id c990a4c5-c5d9-474b-b6f6-67329f1e6a0d for feature 'FBA

ManagementAdmin' (id: 959b81c0-71bd-4606-ac5b-2caf93cc1c00) is not installed.

stsadm.exe -o activatefeature

{-filename <relative path to Feature.xml> |

-name <feature folder> |

-id <feature Id>}

[-url <url>]

[-force]

C:\install\FBA\CKS.FormsBasedAuthentication\FormsBasedAuthentication>

Dec 2, 2008 at 6:38 PM
My biggest problems right now is that a user registers for an account -works (but doesn't redirect back to default.aspx, I even tried adding "...register.aspx?Force=True&Source=http://www.myDomain.com/default.aspx" but that didn't work), I approve the account -works, he logins to the new site -works, he goes to change his password -fails, he gets another login/password field where change password should be and can't change password. However, my administrator account can change password and a few other accounts.

Anyone have any thoughts, I need a solution prety quick, everything else is working great, give or take a few odd ends.

If you would like to see what I'm talking about email me and I'll give you the web link and you can try it yourself.

Thanks for the help,

I plan to use two unused servers I have to setup a test bed for this CKS project, I really need this to work 100% and we really need to betatest these bugs out.
Mar 9, 2010 at 3:34 AM

I am still on CKS FBA 1.0 and want to upgrade to the latest release, how do I proceed, any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I have downloaded the SharePoint Solutions FBA and works great as a test for 30 days, I see how they connect all the pieces together but when I try with CKS, the login and reset password, does not work, maybe because I need the 2.0 version but how do I do that, is my question?

What Login do I get or configure with CKS, the Login Web Part or a custom login? I need to have at least the Login, with the reset password and register for new user and that is it..for now.

Any ideas, links, resources anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Mar 9, 2010 at 5:30 AM

I don't think I would do that. Alot of us are having major issues. One being we can't access or reset passwords on accounts. I've been milking my FBA alone until a full rebuild from 0 of all my products on WSSv4. I did an upgrade from 1.0 and ended up uninstall all of FBA and having to start over from the start of the FBA install.

So in short if you can wait until sharepoint 2010 do, if not then I'd backup, uninstall fba 1.0 and then do a clean install of fba 2.0. The current database and such should work I think make sure as always you read the how to.

All this is said with the understanding that it's been atleast 2 years+ since I did this. The team here is great and very nice however most everyone is extreamly busy and many major problems have been unable to fix. I do not think you will get usefull help from here do to everyone looking and test sharepoint 2010 beta.

Mar 9, 2010 at 3:14 PM
Thanks jbenisek for the information. Unfortunately, I can't wait till 2010, however, I'll try my best to follow your advice and install 2.0 from scratch. If you know anyone or can reference me to a site of how I can have the login with reset and register new user, I would really appreciated.

Thanks once again.

Jesse

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:30 AM, jbenisek <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

I don't think I would do that. Alot of us are having major issues. One being we can't access or reset passwords on accounts. I've been milking my FBA alone until a full rebuild from 0 of all my products on WSSv4. I did an upgrade from 1.0 and ended up uninstall all of FBA and having to start over from the start of the FBA install.

So in short if you can wait until sharepoint 2010 do, if not then I'd backup, uninstall fba 1.0 and then do a clean install of fba 2.0. The current database and such should work I think make sure as always you read the how to.

All this is said with the understanding that it's been atleast 2 years+ since I did this. The team here is great and very nice however most everyone is extreamly busy and many major problems have been unable to fix. I do not think you will get usefull help from here do to everyone looking and test sharepoint 2010 beta.

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (CKS@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email CKS@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Oct 12, 2010 at 6:00 PM

I still don't have these fixed, any ideas on a solution?

Oct 15, 2010 at 7:23 PM
I fixed that part actually, I'm abel to register and reset password now, what I'm having problems with now is when I add the user in the ASP Admin Tool and then add it to the Manager User FBA, and try to edit the user, it gives me the error: "An object of a reference was not found". I don't know what this means. Every time I add the user then I try to edit, it gives me this error, however, this does not happen to all users though. That is very strange. Any ideas on an upgrade?