I'm running across an interesting error on a fairly fresh installation of SharePoint (MOSS 2007 on Server 2008, IIS 7). It is a simple one-server farm right now, no reverse proxy, nothing complex at all. In particular, within the MySites, which
is set with a different hostname from the main site, clicking on the round blue help button in the upper right corner gives, rather than help, an error which reads:
Object reference not set to an instance of an object. at CKS.EBE.BlogContext.get_BlogEnabledSite()
at CKS.EBE.BlogHttpModule._app_PostAuthorizeRequest(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously)
I was only able to see this error message after turning on more descriptive errors in web.config.
Theoretically, this link goes to http://mysite.host.com/_layouts/help.aspx?Lcid=1033&Key=NavBarHelpHome
1) The IIS log gives only an HTTP Status of 401.2, indicates a permissions issue.
2008-11-19 20:50:04 nnn.nnn.67.71 GET /_layouts/help.aspx Lcid=1033&Key=NavBarHelpHome 80 DOMAINNAME\myusername nnn.nnn.66.32 useragent 200 0 0 31
2008-11-19 20:50:04 nnn.nnn.67.71 GET /_layouts/help.aspx Lcid=1033&Key=NavBarHelpHome 80 - nnn.nnn.66.32 useragent 401 2 5 202
2008-11-19 20:50:06 nnn.nnn.67.71 GET /_layouts/help.aspx Lcid=1033&Key=NavBarHelpHome 80 DOMAINNAME\myusername nnn.nnn.66.32 useragent 200 0 0 15
2008-11-19 20:50:08 nnn.nnn.67.71 GET /_layouts/help.aspx Lcid=1033&Key=NavBarHelpHome 80 DOMAINNAME\myusername nnn.nnn.66.32 useragent 200 0 0 15
2) Nothing relevant and time-appropriate appears in the Event Viewer.
1) This does not occur for the associated http://extranet.host.com site.
2) I have placed a diagnostic.asp and a diagnostic.aspx (which I cobbled together) in "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Web Server Extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS" and have attempted to access them. I placed additional copies within
2A) http://mysite.host.com/_layouts/diagnostic.asp works.
2B) http://mysite.host.com/_layouts/diagnostic.aspx gives the usual "Object reference not set to ..." error.
2C) http://mysite.host.com/mysites/_layouts/diagnostic.asp works.
2D) http://mysite.host.com/mysites/_layouts/diagnostic.aspx works.
2E) http://mysite.host.com/delete-whenever/diagnostic.asp works.
2F) http://mysite.host.com/delete-whenever/diagnostic.aspx gives the usual "Object reference not set to ..." error. Additionally, this error does show up within the Event Viewer.
3) Interestingly, these "CKS:EBE Extensions" was not activated on the site nor in Central Administration. I attempted to active the feature in Central Administration (successful), and on the sites (unsuccessful).
I am vaguely familiar with ASP, but not ASP.NET. I am unsure where to begin troubleshooting this particular problem. Should I uninstall every trace of it from my system in the hopes of getting my help button back?
Thank you for your time.
I am experiencing this same issue; same exact error. Have you been able to resolve this? Basically, the user states he must have "corrupted" his MySite, but I am unable to delete/restore it in an test environment. Enabled debugging in the
associated web.config file and got this exact error.