EBE: Has the issue with Trackback spam been resolved in newer releases?

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Nov 25, 2008 at 12:16 PM
I've tried to disable Trackbacks and I'm still getting slammed with trackback spam.  Any news?

Dec 11, 2008 at 1:42 PM
Curious on this as well. If not then I'll make a contribution with a fix to this in the next week or so. I like trackbacks but my blog is inundated with spam atm and I want to make this problem go away lol.

Dec 17, 2008 at 1:08 PM
Still haven't heard anything on this -- I'm a big fan of the EBE and all but this trackback thing is rediculous.  The best I've been able to do is make it so the trackbacks don't show up on my blog but I still TONS of them despite the fact they are disabled.  Could someone involved with the project comment on this one way or another?
Dec 17, 2008 at 1:22 PM

I plan on submitting some code hopefully here in the next few days and I'll attempt to help coordinate to get this into a patch release or at least into the code base. Additionally I'm going to try to filter out comment spam prior to getting inserted into the list instead of afterwords so that I only get comment alerts for "good" comments. Obviously this is contingent on freeing up some work time here but my blog is very embarrasing right now with all the trackback spam (my favorite are the horse love ones argg) and I get enough "good" onces that I don't want to disable it. 

More to come soon.

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:53 PM
I was able to address the trackback spam by going into the Linkbacks received list settings, making sure require content approval was on, and then toggling the "Who should see draft items in this list" setting.  Turned it to something, saved, and then back to only people who can approve. Also did the same thing for comments.  Now it doesn't stop spam but does prevent stuff from showing that isn't approved which was my top priority with the trackback stuff.

That would be awesome if you can make those changes, the only request I have is could you please post some specific links to which version it is that has the changes?  There are several versions of the code out there but there's no good way for someone who isn't the developer to tell what changed.  Heck, if you fix it you should just post the WSP straight to your blog.  If you really think you can fix it, there are some big time SP bloggers using WSS now who won't switch because of the spam issue.

Now if you could managed to get trackbacks working like they are supposed to AND fix the spam issue.  That would be a fantastic holiday present!  :-)