web.config file updates itself

Topics: Internet/Extranet Edition
Nov 25, 2008 at 5:56 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2008 at 7:23 PM
Edited Note: All from Beta 1.0 should I be using Beta 2.5, how do I build the solution?
I've been working 4 days on upgrading my FBA from the first verison released before it was added to the community kit.

I had lots of uninstall and install problems but had fixed every problem and had almost everything working when my web.config file reverted back to before I installed the new software. Needless to say this caused alot of problems, I had/have backups and redid the changes to the file like add SMTP info... However, last night the web.config file for my Intranet site reverted but the www.fba.com site didn't.

Any reason sharepoint should be overwirtting my web.config files EVER?

I wish, hope and pray this project gets some work done on it soon, an install and uninstall is a must.

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:08 PM
Edited Nov 25, 2008 at 6:54 PM
Also I had to disable Roles management to install FBAManagement feature however now when I click on Mange Forms Based Authentication Users and Roles I get the user list. I click on a user then get an error saying "The Role Manager Feature has not been enabled" thats fine I don't want it, but now I can't manage users. This means I can't delete users, add users or change any details. How do I enable User Management without Role Management.

If I deactivate the Roles and User management I can but when I try and re-activite it I get Access Denied. Unless I deploy it from my Intranet site but...

If I try and access this page from my intranet AD site I get Unknown Error

Please post your example of the web.config for both the external and internal sites so we can compaire.

I'm prety sad this has gone so poorly. Lots of bugs.
Nov 25, 2008 at 6:11 PM
When I register a new client, they get their first email, I goto Site Membership Review List to approve them but the RequestID field is blank and not editable. The email I get from my alerts has the RequestID in it.

When approved not email is sent out to them.
Nov 26, 2008 at 4:29 AM
Hi jbenisek,

You mention beta 2.5, there isn't such a release if you are upgrading FBA. I've long thought that CKS project is a bit confusing. Essentially the FBA part of this project is a seperate and stand alone feature. It's designed to enable you to extend an existing site into the Internet Zone and enable Forms Base Authentication along with some user management features. The October release was hard work, with only developers able to really correct its problems but all of us fixed the same bugs over and over. Mike Sharp and I recently joined to merge our fixes into what is now FBA Beta 1.0. For a fresh install it has one bug that nobody has found time to fix and that is the missing dependancy that the WSP install says. This is refering to a feature that we dropped but I left unnoticed in the WSP. I'm going to fix that first and release a new WSP asap.

As for an upgrade path from any previous release, there is only WSP upgrade from Beta 1.0 to future releases. Any attempt to go from older October release may cause problems. However, the problems should not cause any damage to existing users or the SQL Provider database. The install primarily is all about configuring the Extended site with FBA enabled. These config changes are all manual (until we get a point and shoot installer). Once this is done the Features provide some user management screens and a signup / approval process.

References to "configs" rolling back sound more like another Sharepoint Feature is performing some config changes behind the scenes.