Crawling FBA site with Search Server 2008

Topics: General/Misc.
Aug 7, 2009 at 1:44 PM

Hi,

I have set up a site collection with CKS:FBA. How can I crawl this site with Search Server 2008 Express? When I try to set a FBA account as crawl account, it won't be accepted as a valid account. What am I missing?

Regards,
Sebastian

Developer
Aug 7, 2009 at 10:26 PM

This article will explain how to set this up:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb977430.aspx#MOSSFBAPart3_CrawlingContent

But to summarize:

In Service Pack 1, SharePoint Products and Technologies includes the ability to set special crawl rules that describe cookie-based authentication so those sites can be crawled. However, it does a simple crawl of the content only, and does not capture security information or the kind of rich metadata that the crawler can gather when using the native SharePoint protocol handler.

For those reasons, whether or not you have applied Service Pack 1, it is recommended that you crawl SharePoint sites protected by forms authentication by using the native SharePoint protocol handler. If your Web application already includes a zone that is secured with Windows authentication, in most cases you can use that zone for crawling. If your Web application has only a single zone and it is secured with forms authentication, you need to extend it into a new zone by using Windows authentication to support the native protocol handler. For more information, see Prepare to Crawl Host-Named Sites That Use Forms Authentication (Microsoft TechNet).

When you extend the Web application into a new zone, remember the following rules:

• If you are using only Windows SharePoint Services, the Default zone must be secured with Windows authentication. If the Default zone is secured with forms authentication and a secondary zone uses Windows authentication, the crawler will not be able to index it.

• If you are using Office SharePoint Server 2007, the Default zone can be secured with Windows authentication, but it does not have to be. You can use forms authentication for the Default zone and extend a separate zone for Windows authentication. However, you must change the start address in the default content source to the URL for the Windows authentication zone. When a new Web application is created, a start address is automatically added that uses the URL for the Default zone. Office SharePoint Server 2007 gives you the flexibility to change the values in the list of start addresses, but Windows SharePoint Services does not.

Regards,

Mike Sharp

Developer
Aug 7, 2009 at 10:28 PM

I probably should have added that I'm not completely sure Search Server Express has the same functionality as MOSS in this regard, but I believe it does.  Essentially you just need to create a window auth zone for the crawler...

Mike