CKS Forms Based Authentication Solution & Active Directory

Topics: General/Misc.
Nov 30, 2009 at 8:51 PM

I have installed the Forms Based Authentication Solution in hopes of using it with an Active Directory provider and not the SQL Provider. I don't see anywhere that it can not be used with AD. I installed the four web parts and the login web part works pretty well, but none of the other web parts work. Each produce various errors. I have read the post but still not clear if this solution can work with AD.  Can someone clearify for me if this solution can work with AD and if so are there any instructions on setting it up?

<membership defaultProvider="ADMembershipProvider">
      <providers>
        <clear />
        <add name="ADMembershipProvider" attributeMapUsername="sAMAccountName" type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider, System.Web, Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" connectionStringName="LDAPConnect" connectionUsername="UserName" connectionPassword="XXXXXXX" enableSearchMethods="true" applicationName="acpdev:12345" connectionProtection="None" />
      </providers>
    </membership>

Apr 14, 2010 at 1:39 PM

We are in the same spot - we have Forms Based Authentication setup using Active Directory not SQL. I can't find any information or solution - even with third party tools.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:30 PM

I could not get this solution to do what we wanted it to do. There are limitations to using AD and the solution. So I developed our own Login, Forgot Password, Forgot Username, and Change Password web parts to access AD and do Forms Authentication. Matthew, if you would like to ask me any specific questions please feel free to contact me (gkayton@exeter.edu)  Guy

Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2010 9:40 AM
To: Kayton, Guy D.
Subject: Re: CKS Forms Based Authentication Solution & Active Directory [CKS:76631]

We are in the same spot - we have Forms Based Authentication setup using Active Directory not SQL. I can't find any information or solution - even with third party tools.

Did you ever get this resolved?

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (CKS@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email CKS@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:01 PM

Thanks Guy!

Currently I have Form Based Authentication setup using LDAPMembershipProvider through Active Directory. Everythings working great! Except users can't change their password through the browser. I’ve tried a lot of third party tools but they all have the same error about “The method or operation is not implemented.”

Here is my Web.config entry:

<membership defaultProvider="Enigma">

<providers>

<add server="sbisite.com" port="389" useSSL="false" userDNAttribute="distinguishedName" userNameAttribute="sAMAccountName" userContainer="OU=BAM,DC=sbisite,DC=com" userObjectClass="person" userFilter="(|(ObjectCategory=group)(ObjectClass=person))" scope="Subtree" otherRequiredUserAttributes="sn,givenname,cn" />

</providers>

</membership>

<roleManager defaultProvider="EnigmaRole" enabled="true" cacheRolesInCookie="true" cookieName=".PeopleDCRole">

<providers>

<add server="273921-WSS " port="389" useSSL="false" groupContainer="DC=sbisite,DC=com" groupNameAttribute="ou" groupMemberAttribute="member" userNameAttribute="sAMAccountName" dnAttribute="distinguishedName" groupFilter="(ObjectClass=group)" scope="Subtree" />

</providers>

</roleManager>

THIS IS THE ERROR:

Exception Details: System.NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below. 

Stack Trace:

[NotImplementedException: The method or operation is not implemented.]

Microsoft.Office.Server.Security.LdapMembershipProvider.ChangePassword(String name, String oldPwd, String newPwd) +115

System.Web.Security.MembershipUser.ChangePassword(String oldPassword, String newPassword) +184

System.Web.Security.MembershipUser.ChangePassword(String oldPassword, String newPassword, Boolean throwOnError) +31

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ChangePassword.AttemptChangePassword() +220

System.Web.UI.WebControls.ChangePassword.OnBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs e) +137

System.Web.UI.Control.RaiseBubbleEvent(Object source, EventArgs args) +70

System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +29

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +2981