Master Page for Public MySites?

Apr 5, 2007 at 10:54 PM
I followed the instructions on stapling the MySites creation for getting a master page to work on personal My Sites pages. I even extended things a little by using some of the code from the Features project on CodePlex to add a Theme when the person creates a MySite. The problem is in changing the master page for the root of MySites (where the Person.aspx resides). I have tried copying my master page into the gallery for the root and tried setting the value of the MasterPageUrl (using a quick and dirty command line app to get the site collection, then root web of the mysites server and changing the value of the property). Whenever I do that, i get an error about a File Not Found. I see the file in the master gallery and i can even open it in sharepoint designer, but something about the new master breaks things. The new master works fine on the personal sites, just not the public.

Any ideas?
Apr 6, 2007 at 2:02 PM
I'm not sure why you are jumping through all of those hoops to change the master page on the My Sites hosting site. I would just upload your master page into the master page gallery for that site collection, and then go into the Site Settings and use the admin pages in there to change the master page.
Apr 6, 2007 at 2:53 PM
When i go into the site settings, the admin pages do not have a master page setting. The gallery is there, but nothing to change the master page setting. That's why i had to jump through the hoops.
Apr 7, 2007 at 6:39 AM
Sorry, looks like this is one of those somewhat strange cases of WSS-type support for master pages. Have you tried just saving a copy of the existing master page and uploading a new default.master?
Apr 10, 2007 at 9:22 PM
Well, i ended up getting it to work. I was jumping through hoops in a way though. I found that if i went into Sharepoint Designer and connected to the root site of the MySites Server, i could right click on a file and select "Make this the default master". That still broke the sites as there was something missing in my master page. I ended up copying the default.master file and editing it to match the layout i wanted and left the bulk of it alone.

Thanks though.