EBE: Support for <script> and <embed> tags?

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Jun 5, 2007 at 3:13 AM
Except for the Content Editor web part, WSS 3.0 strips out anything that has the <script> or <embed> tag. This is by design for security reasons and will likely not change until vNext though I can't make any promises at this point. Any thoughts on getting around this limitation? One idea I have is to implement a custom (optional) column that is based on a custom field type that would store its value without getting the <script> or <embed> tags stripped.
Jun 5, 2007 at 11:45 PM
As we are using XSL we can output anything we want...how would you see these being used?

My guess is that we need a bit of a framework for 'widgets', which allow people to add custom JS (Analytics, StatCounter, etc), RSS feeds (consumed), Flickr, etc to the side panels??
Jun 6, 2007 at 8:30 PM
FYI: Not too long ago I was asked about an <embed> feature for streaming media, so there definitely is interest in this.

As for widgets, it sounds to me like that basically amounts to re-inventing a bit of the web part framework (widget placing, zones, etc) and then re-inventing the content editor web part. This is one of the reasons I wish we could combine Vincent's features with more fundamental WSS.
Jun 6, 2007 at 9:29 PM
It does, doesn't it :-)

Unfortunately while the the SP WebPart insists on randomly adding TABLEs and DIVs all over the place it makes it hard to use on a styled website. There is always the possbility of using the ASP.Net webpart framework...from memory this doesn't add too much (if anything?). Its a shame I love the WP framework, but as I tend to be doing public sites most of the time I don't get to use it as much as I would like!!

Personally I was thinking of something a bit more simplistic where you had a setting (NoteField) for custom JavaScript and there would be an XSL which would render it if it existed?

I'm still not sure how the <embed> tags would work? Would you want to embed an object into the post?

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:04 PM
"I'm still not sure how the <embed> tags would work? Would you want to embed an object into the post?"

I tried to do just that with my standard MOSS wiki. It's a pretty typical use of blogs I've seen to embed youtube videos into the post.

I think a widget list is something completely different, not a bad idea but different than in-post embedded content.