CKS.EBE disables me from using SharePoint Designer

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Oct 18, 2007 at 1:25 PM
Hi,

After I installed CKS.EBE I can't open pages using SharePoint Designer. I get the following message:

soap:ServerServer was unable to process request. ---> Cannot complete this action

When I uninstall CKS.EBE I can open other ASPX pages in SharePoint Designer. (I can still see the old CKS.EBE pages in the site listing but can't open them). I've installed and uninstalled a couple of times and the problem repeat itselfs every time.

Weird thing is that this problem affects two other Site Collections as well, on the same server, that doesn't have CSK.EBE installed! On a separate Web Application (IIS Site), on the same server I haven't gotten the error.

So it seems to me that when I install CKS.EBE I can't use SharePoint Designer any more on most sites on the server.

Someone told me to make sure the transaction logs where truncated on the database server, which I have. Still no luck...

Any clues?

/ Olof
Oct 19, 2007 at 9:47 AM
I think it is the HTTP module which is the problem. It hi-jacks all requests from wihtin a Single Web Application (all Site and Site Colleciton).
Oct 24, 2007 at 9:42 AM
Yes! Of course! Thank you for pointing that out. I was going crazy... :)

/ Olof
Developer
Nov 2, 2007 at 9:06 PM
I would be interested to know what the problem is? I can use SharePoint designer (It is the only thing you can use) to update and modify my blog without any problems. However, I do get that error periodically on SharePoint sites using SPD, not only ones using the EBE...never found a solution though.

I don't believe its anything to do with the HttpModule though as that will only affect requests with /archive/ in the URL.

Vince
Developer
Nov 2, 2007 at 10:24 PM
Actually I have just had a look at at this (as others have mentioned it) and it appears there is a bug. I have fixed it, but won't be available until the next release.

Vince
Coordinator
Nov 6, 2007 at 9:29 AM
I am having this issue too. I ended up deactivating the features on the web while I used SPD then reactivaed the features. Do you know when you will be releasing the fix?

M
Nov 10, 2007 at 2:47 AM
I was having the same problem on www.wssdemo.com.
Unfortunately I can't live without SPD so had to deactivate the EBE feature at the Web Application level.
Developer
Nov 10, 2007 at 9:29 AM
Sorry to everyone about this...I am using the VS AddIn to edit content on my blog and rarely use SPD anymore!

I have upload a patch to the release..

https://www.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ProjectName=CKS&ReleaseId=4767

Download the zip file, copy the DLL to the GAC and IISRESET. SPD should now work.

Vince
Coordinator
Nov 11, 2007 at 10:14 AM
Thanks Vince, that fixed it for me!
Nov 11, 2007 at 10:39 AM
Yes, thanks for the patch!
/Olof
Jan 17, 2008 at 7:24 PM
Hi - just loaded the CKS.EBE beta 2.0 and experienced the "soap:ServerServer was unable to process request. ---> Cannot complete this action" error in SharePoint Designer when trying to open the site to modify the pages.

I downloaded the patch and tried to follow the instructions above, but I'm still getting the error in SPD. I may not have copied the the DLL to the correct location (I'm on a MOSS 2007 site). The GAC folder (C:\Windows\assemblies) wouldn't let me copy it into that folder. I also tried placing the DLL in the C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\wss\VirtualDirectories\80\bin folder.

I haven't worked with assemblies and webparts, so I'm sure I'm missing something basic here. Can someone tell me the specific location that this file needs be copied to?

Thanks for your assistance!
Coordinator
Jan 17, 2008 at 9:45 PM
Once you unzip the patch, drag and drop the assembly into the folder c:\windows\assembly. (You should see the current one already there.) I have seen issues when you try to Copy and Paste. Drag and drop should work for you. BTW, you have to be a local administrator.

Let us know how it goes.
Jan 18, 2008 at 2:12 AM

That worked great! When I tried before, Windows Explorer wouldn't let me paste the patch file into the c:\windows\assembly folder. Dragging and dropping the file did the trick. Thanks for your quick response and assistance!
Jun 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM
Thanks for this thread and I wanted to post my findings as well in case anyone else runs into this.  I could not get this to work correctly so I uninstalled the blog, deactivated, and removed it completely from my environment.  After that, I had to manually update each web.config file that had been created while this blog was globally active on my server.  Now I do not receive that soap error when attempting to edit any aspx files in SPD.  I am glad I came across this thread.  I didn't think this would be an issue for a site that did not have the elements added, however, during site creating, the applicable line items are automatically added to the web.config file if this solution is active in your SP environment.  I hope to use the newer release at some point.