HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials

Nov 27, 2007 at 11:56 PM
Members joining my site are experiencing difficulty with password authentication. I clicked on the change password link for my site and then proceeded to change my old password provided by the site during registration. I copied/paste the old PW provided by the site, typed my new one (1234qazx), and then confirmed. The error message below displayed when I clicked the change password button.

Password incorrect or New Password invalid. New Password length minimum: 4. Non-alphanumeric characters required: 0.

I pasted the old password word again (issued by LGnet) and typed my newly chosen password. I clicked the change password button again and no error was generated giving the perception that the password has been changed.
I logged off the site and then attempted to log back on the using my newly created password. However, I now get the error message below:

HTTP Error 401.1 - Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials. Internet Information Services (IIS)

I typed my old password (issued by the site) and the site was able to authenticate and log me on. It seems that my site built with the Shared Solutions Network Web Application code from CodePlex will only authenticate users/passwords created by the site--not user created passwords. Has anyone else experienced this issue and are willing to share some insight. Has anyone experienced this problem before? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vincent
Dec 3, 2007 at 8:52 PM
What's the IIS auth basic with windows integrated? Also what form or auth is the SharePoint instance using NTML or Kerberos? I've seen this using Kerberos auth but would like to know more about your virtual configuration...