CKS:EBE and WSS Language Packs

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Mar 6, 2008 at 2:52 PM
Hi Team,

What is the expected behaviour of the CKS:EBE when turned on (activated) in sites with other languages (such as pt-br, lcid 1046)?

I´m trying to use CKS:EBE feature in my wssblog based on Portuguese-Brazil Language Pack and I´m getting this error "Value does not fall within the expected range."

I think that the lists and fields name seem fixed for english names in code ....

Best Regards

Hélio Sá Moreira
MOSS MVP
Developer
Mar 6, 2008 at 4:49 PM
Hélio,

When do you get this message? What are you trying to do?

The EBE outputs some trace statements and so you can use DebugView to (hopefully) get more information.

--Vince
Developer
Mar 6, 2008 at 9:13 PM
Edited Mar 6, 2008 at 9:16 PM
Hi Helio

You're right, CKS:EBE currently uses hard coded names for lists & fields. There is no problem with fields as it's internal names, but causes installation failures for lists.

I've adapted CKS:EBE on my own blog which is french (fr-FR, LCID 1036, http://www.sharepointofview.fr/gat), but it's still a "on development" status.

I think localization of CKS:EBE will be one of the next feature. If you can't wait for next version, you can start download source code and replace english list names by portuguese ones, and also modify the master page to reference list names for CKS:EBE controls.
Mar 7, 2008 at 2:34 AM
Edited Mar 7, 2008 at 2:39 AM
Hi guys,

Thanks for the answers and the confirmation of the problem related to Language Packs.

Congratulations on the excellent work! :-)

I´ll follow the tip of the GAT, download the source code and adapt to portuguese-brazil (lcid 1046) to use my own blog (http://www.sharepointbrasil.net).

Best regards

Hélio Sá Moreira
MOSS MVP
Mar 7, 2008 at 2:38 AM
Hi TheKid,

I got this error after activate the "CKS:EBE Extensions" feature in site features page.

The error callstack is below:

Value does not fall within the expected range. at CKS.EBE.FeatureReceiver.FeatureActivated(SPFeatureReceiverProperties properties)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.DoActivationCallout(Boolean fActivate, Boolean fForce)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeature.Activate(SPSite siteParent, SPWeb webParent, SPFeaturePropertyCollection props, Boolean fForce)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.AddInternal(Guid featureId, SPFeaturePropertyCollection properties, Boolean force, Boolean fMarkOnly)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.SPFeatureCollection.Add(Guid featureId)
at Microsoft.SharePoint.WebControls.FeatureActivator.BtnActivateFeature_Click(Object objSender, EventArgs evtargs)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.WebControls.Button.System.Web.UI.IPostBackEventHandler.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument)
at System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData)
at System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint)

Thanks

Best Regards

Hélio Sá Moreira
MOSS MVP
Sep 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM
I'm having an identical issue when trying to activate the feature for a blog subsite inside a  Dutch and French site variation. I strongly believe that it's a matter of support for locales...

there is a bug report for this issue here: http://www.codeplex.com/CKS/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=2682&FocusElement=CommentTextBox

but it appears that the devs are having issues simulating the issue... I believe this shouldn't be very hard though... create a new blank application and 2 variations. Dutch or French in my case (dutch is the root variation). Then continue to create a blog in each (i disabled content propagation so nothing gets pushed from the root to other variations)

then try to activate the CKE EBE for one of both blogs that are up and running:

stsadm -o activatefeature -name "CKS EBE" -url http://testsite/dutch/blog

And get this result:
Value does not fall within the expected range.

I hope this helps with tracking the origin of the error.

I don't see how hardcoding a different language into the source code would help in my situation since i need it to work for 2 languages and not just 1...

All help with this is very much appreciated!