CKS:EBE - can't enable blog themes/skins

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Mar 11, 2008 at 7:44 PM
Hi all,

I have successfully added and deployed the CKS:EBE to my farm. I have activated the feature on a new blog site, and see the CKS:EBE Settings under "Site Administration". However, my blog site remains at the default MOSS-style blog; plain. I have gone into CKS:EBE Settings and changed the "Default Blog Theme" to one of the themes, however the blog site still remains at the default style. Are there any settings I need to change? I noticed in the screencast that immediately after activating the feature, the blog had a default theme applied to it. This doesn't happen for me, and I can't apply a theme. I have the "Show Theme Selector" ticked, but the theme selector doesn't show on the plain blog site. Any help is appreciated!

Dustin
Mar 11, 2008 at 8:05 PM
Sorry guys, it's working now. Seems I had to wait about 45 minutes before it "took". Great kit!
Dustin
Mar 11, 2008 at 10:03 PM
FWIW I had the same experience but I think it took more than 45 min. When I came in the next day it was on.
Developer
Mar 11, 2008 at 10:22 PM
For the theming to work some web.config changes need to be made (hence the WebApp feature). The changes are made using SPWebConfigModification which essentially creates a timer job.

Timer jobs are not always as reliable as you would hope and I suspect that is what happened here.

Possible reasons include OWSTIMER.exe not running (WSS Timer Service disabled?).
Your in a web farm and some of the other web front ends are not running.
SharePoint couldn't be bothered ;-)

Generally running stsadm -o execdmsvcjobs fixes the problem, otherwise you could look at the timer jobs in central admin and see if any have failed/not started. You could also try de-activating & re-activating the WebApp feature, although this may just fail to create a new timer job if there is one already there which is stuck.

--Vince
Mar 12, 2008 at 6:24 PM
I really wonder if this was the cause of the troubles I was having with the "Modifying Themes" discussion thread. I spent a long time trying to get the darn thing to work, went to bed, and it was working the next morning.
Mar 14, 2008 at 3:38 AM
Sounds weird. I'm having the same issue.

Installed it more than 45 mins ago, still nothing. The central admin ->Operations sections does not show any pending/failed jobs too.

The install.bat script ran perfectly with 'success'fully all over the screen :-)

WSS timer service is running and had been running when I ran he install script.
Sep 23, 2009 at 6:43 AM
Edited Sep 23, 2009 at 6:55 AM

Ignore that - just use the Install.bat file and it should just work. I must have missed a step twice during manual installation.