C# or VB.Net for SharePoint development?

Topics: General/Misc.
Mar 13, 2008 at 3:45 PM
The agency I work for has been a Java shop for years. We are now purchasing a Commercial Off The Shelf product which will replace most of our applications. The COTS product is written in VB.Net, and some of us will do custom code for it in VB.Net. At the same time, we are also bringing MOSS 2007 into our agency. In reading books on SharePoint and poking around the MSDN site, it seems to me that most examples are written in C#.

The question is: Should we use VB.Net for our SharePoint development because that's what we'll be using for the COTS product? Or should we use C# for SharePoint because most of the SharePoint community uses C# and we can leverage our current Java skills more easily? Thanks for your vote!
Developer
Mar 13, 2008 at 4:21 PM
C#, if your already using Java it will be much easier & quicker to pickup. But also as you point out most of the sample code is in C#, I suspect you will struggle to find any SharePoint code in VB.Net.

Unless you are modifying the actual source for COTS, then I would extend it using a seperate DLL and C#.

--Vince
Mar 17, 2008 at 1:04 PM

TheKid wrote:
C#, if your already using Java it will be much easier & quicker to pickup. But also as you point out most of the sample code is in C#, I suspect you will struggle to find any SharePoint code in VB.Net.

Unless you are modifying the actual source for COTS, then I would extend it using a seperate DLL and C#.

--Vince

Thanks for your reply Vince. Anyone else?