EBE: Pingbacks doesn't send?

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Mar 18, 2008 at 11:48 AM

I just installed the latest version of the EBE kit and it's all set up and works like a charm.
However, the pingbacks (the automatic, and the manual that I add for the posts) doesn't seem to be sent.
I've got no items in the Pingbacks Sent or in the Linkbacks Received lists.

Is this a known issue or might I have missed something?

Any comments would be highly appreciated.

Mar 18, 2008 at 4:13 PM

The best way to find out would be to put DebugView onto the server to see if there are any messages being traced. This may tell you the problem immediately.

Other reasons could be...

Your server doesn't allow outbound Internet access.
Your server goes through a proxy to the Internet.
The blogs you are trying to ping are not supported by the EBE (sorry not an expert in this area!)

Mar 23, 2008 at 7:46 PM
Hi Vince,

Thanks for your reply.
A quick thought: Could it have something to do with not allowing anonymous access to browse the lists and pages settings?
I'm currently only allowing anonymous access on the front page and the posts, but not to for example /_layouts/viewlsts.aspx etc. (Setting in the EBE) - could that be a cause?

The outbound internet access is fine and there's no proxy :)
Mar 25, 2008 at 12:04 AM
@Tobias, quite interesting, I also noticed pingbacks are not being sent. Server is allowed outbound internet access, no proxy.
I noticed that the pingbacks is filled but the sent linkbacks is empty. Also, the trackbacks I received are displayed below each article (every trackback is displayed under every article, not only the trackback related to the article). see also http://community.ada-ict.nl/blogs/virtualgenerations/archive/2008/03/21/how-not-to-do-recruitment-for-a-customer-dutch-language-alert.aspx

Mar 26, 2008 at 9:56 AM
Update to this issue:

When I allow anonymous access to view the lists and items (/_layouts/viewlsts.aspx), I receive trackbacks.
However - just as Stoneford describes - every trackback is shown under every article, instead of under the right one.

Also, is there some way to limit trackback spam? Seems like I'm getting a bunch of trackbacks just pointing back to yahoo.com.

Apr 1, 2008 at 11:48 AM
Update: trackbacks are appearing when status = pending. It's lame because my list grows and grows. Have to delete them one by one :(
Apr 2, 2008 at 4:00 PM
I created a new Work Item for this issue since it seems that many-a-people are experiencing just these problems with the EBE 2.0 Final release.

To urge this issue, please vote for it: http://www.codeplex.com/CKS/WorkItem/View.aspx?WorkItemId=5877
Apr 2, 2008 at 10:02 PM
Thanks Tobias! I already voted. Too bad I can't vote twice or more times ;-)