EBE 2.0 - Look and feel of enhanced blog site

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
Mar 19, 2008 at 1:02 PM
Hi,

I tried appying the EBE 2.0 stuff on my existing blog site, but found out that the themes available with EBE 2.0 when applied result in different look and feel between various portal site and enhanced blog site.

Secondly, even within the enhanced blog site all the pages do not have same theme applied for example if I want to create a new post, the the theme is not applied and I see default SharePoint Theme.

What would be the easiest way to create a new theme which is in sync. with my portals theme? And ensuring that all pages in my blog site actually have same theme?

Thanks,

Ashish Malhotra
Developer
Mar 19, 2008 at 4:39 PM
Ashish,

The idea of the EBE is that there is a distinction between the 'System' type pages which are used to maintain the site (settings, create, manage) and the 'public' view of your site which is quite different. This is fairly normal for blogging engines.

If you want a common look and feel across all of your pages then you will need to modify your default.master with a similar layout to the blog theme you are using. You could also turn off the MTF so that your blog uses the default.master.

--Vince
Mar 20, 2008 at 6:53 AM
Thanks Vince for the quick response, but I am looking at modyfying a specific theme according to to my portal's theme.

Secondly, I tried switching of MTF, but then along with the theme all other stuff for example 'Limit on post size' were also turned off. Is there a way to leverage all the features provided by EBE 2.0 minus the look and feel part of the theme?

-Ashish
Developer
Mar 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM
Most of the functionality around 'display' is implemented in the XSLT and so unless you are using one of the themes it won't work. Lots of the other features do though (RSS, Metaweblog API, etc).

You are probably best just creating a theme to match your portals theme, which should be relatively easy. You could probably talk to PixelMill as they could take your existing theme and create an EBE theme based on it for you.

An example of this is here http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/Pages/default.aspx, where the site is a publishing site, but the blogs use the EBE. If you checkout http://blog.thekid.me.uk/archive/2007/12/05/cksebe-resources.aspx you will see some links to Matts blog where he describes how he achieved this.

--Vince
Mar 20, 2008 at 12:37 PM
Thanks Vince. I will check out Matt's blog.

However, if you can provide me with steps for modifying the existing themes, I would be OK with that also.

-Ashish

Developer
Mar 20, 2008 at 12:42 PM
Ashish,

You would be best to read the Designer Guide which can be downloaded from the Release page.

--Vince