Comment Spam

Topics: Enhanced Blog Edition
May 1, 2008 at 5:49 PM

I have installed the latest CKS EBE and have noticed a ton of comment spam (more than 2000 now). Two things I have noticed. The comments list has approval enabled but the items are automatically being approved; without any interaction. The second is; how is some (or code) bypassing the CAPTCHA? With this many spam comments, I am assuming it is being done with some type of bot but I can't figure out how.

Anyone else run into this?

Thank you!
May 2, 2008 at 9:53 AM
Hi Bob,

Same story for me. Also it's a problem to remove the spam. I have to do this one by one.
May 2, 2008 at 9:43 PM
I'm not ignoring this, I am trying to think what it could be.

In the meantime you can use edit DataSheet to bult remove comments if you first temporarily remove the Approval from the list.

May 3, 2008 at 8:08 AM
Hi guys,

I've got the same issue both with comments and trackbacks.
However I created a custom Timer Job to automatically delete comments and trackbacks with status set to pending once every 30 minutes.
Not a solid solution, but it works splendid for time being.

Just a tip ;)
May 14, 2008 at 7:46 AM
Hey guys,

I am using the datasheet view o remove the spam, both comments and tracebacks.

Can someone tell me the steps to disable these two features; at least until the problem is resolved?

Thank you!
Sep 5, 2008 at 5:53 PM
Sorry if I'm  bit late on this issue.  Has there been a fix to this problem....automatically approving comments?  I have set the approval request to YES, but I get no emails and still, all comments are being approved.

I am not a programmer.  This is really frusterating me.