Virtual Earth web part - msspacelite?

May 6, 2008 at 4:56 PM
Hello,

I am trying to install the Virtual Earth Maps web part in our test environment, and I'm having some problems. I have successfully and uneventfully installed and deployed Configuration.cab, VirtualEarth.cab, and CampusMaps.cab, but it's broken down since then.

My questions are:
1. In the Implementer's Guide, a cab file called "msspacelite" is referenced as the last one to install, but it is not in the package I downloaded (from http://www.codeplex.com/CKS/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=7708). Where do I get this file?
2. The "CampusMapsData" list referenced in the Implementer's Guide was not created during installation. Pasting in the URL in the guide (substituting my site name, of course) gets me a big 404 error. Was this something that should have been created by the missing cab?
3. The MDF file referenced in the documentation does not appear to be in the package either, or at least I can't find it to attach in SQL Studio.

I feel that I must be missing something big, because this installation really isn't going very well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcia.
May 12, 2008 at 5:40 AM
Hi,

yeah, I just grabbed the current release of this and while I didn't have any problems with the automated install (of the list, etc), I can't locate the MDF files either.  If there isn't already an issue logged, I'll log one now.

Later'ish
Craig

mnorder wrote:
[snip snip]
3. The MDF file referenced in the documentation does not appear to be in the package either, or at least I can't find it to attach in SQL Studio.

I feel that I must be missing something big, because this installation really isn't going very well. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Marcia.
May 13, 2008 at 3:39 AM
Edited May 13, 2008 at 3:40 AM
I have done all the suggested steps and I found the MDF in the VIRTUAL_EARTH_MAPS_ON_SHAREPOINT_Source Zip. 

But I am still seeing the pop-up "Error! There was an error in the callback" any time the map is updated.

I am testing the Bamboo Virtual Earth ($400) and it is working well.

Dave Beatty
May 14, 2008 at 4:08 PM
I am getting the same error ""Error! There was an error in the callback"

Any news on this?
May 14, 2008 at 4:44 PM

Hi y'all,

Thanks so much for the replies.  It's good to know that it's not just me missing something obvious.

I had a demo that day that I need to show some map action in, so I downloaded the trial of the Bamboo map module.  It's working like a champ so far, and for $400 it seems like the best option.

Thanks!
Marcia.

May 23, 2008 at 2:33 PM
Edited May 23, 2008 at 4:59 PM
Hi,

RESOLVED  "Error! There was an error in the callback"

On installing the solution, by default the "CustomMapsData" list is created at the top level so the map works fine at the top level site.

When i added the webpart to a subsite, it displays the pop-up "Error! There was an error in the callback"

REASON: A New list "CustomMapsData" is created at the subsite level but contains no data. See code below:

CampusMapsPushPinDataSource.cs:

private

Dictionary<string, string> GetConfigurationData()
{
ConfigurationManager config = new CachedConfigurationManager();
return config.GetConfiguration(SPControl.GetContextSite(HttpContext.Current), "CampusMapsData", "MapsDataSource");
}

And the config.GetConfiguration calls the method GetConfigurationList(site, listName) from the class ConfigurationManager.cs

ConfiguratioManager.cs:

private

SPList GetConfigurationList(SPSite site, string listName)
{
SPList list = null;
try
{
using (SPWeb rootWeb = site.OpenWeb())
{
list = rootWeb.Lists[listName];
return list;
}
catch
{
list = CreateConfigurationList(site, listName);
}

return list;
}

I created a copy of the list (with configuration values) in a subsite and Added the webpart on the page.

No more  "Error! There was an error in the callback"

Regards,
Kevin

May 19, 2009 at 5:40 PM
Edited May 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM

I'm receiving a "'VEMap' is undefined" error. It looks like it might be resulting from Microsoft changed the URL to access the VE API from V4 to V5. According to this article: http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/vemapcontroldev/thread/2594f6fa-4959-47d7-bd9e-28720d5881f1/, the javascript reference needs to be changed to:

Code Block
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/mapcontrol.ashx?v=5"></script>  

This method will not currently work: http://dev.virtualearth.net/mapcontrol/v5/mapcontrol.js

Does any know where to change this setting in this Virtual Earth web part? I did a search in both the source code and the website but can not find any instances of dev.virtualearth.net.

Thanks.