Installation of MOSS on Windows XP

Topics: General/Misc.
Nov 10, 2008 at 1:58 AM

I am trying to find a good tutorial to install MOSS 2007 on my Windows XP workstation, so that I can use training tools.  I do not have access to our Sharepoint Server at work, and need to practice with all of the great tools available.  I have seen some articles on creating a virtual server on my PC, but they are short on details.

Any help will be very useful for myself, and I'm sure many others.

Nov 10, 2008 at 4:10 PM
Well, you might not want this particular piece of advice, but what I do is run Virtual Server (ok, to be honest, I run VMWare -- don't flame me guys! ;^)

Then you can install whatever version of an OS you want.  Really, I think it's the way to go, especially on XP.  If you're lucky (depending where you live), you might be able to find someone with one of the pre-built MOSS images that MS sometimes distributes to user groups.  I think it's up to image 28 now...not completely sure--I was using Image23a for training and demo up until a few weeks ago.  It's nice because it also has all the Hands-On Labs in it, as well as Visual Studio, Exchange, etc.  Saves a TON of time setting up your environments.

But, worst case, you can download a MOSS image:

If you have a decent workstation with plenty of RAM, you can build an entire farm using virtual images, and it runs just fine.  I've done nearly all my development that way for years, because it's so easy to manage your dev environment.  I even do it that way when I'm developing on a real server. 

Mike Sharp
Nov 11, 2008 at 2:59 AM
Mike,  thanks for the information;  I looked at both VMWare, and I'm not sure which one (the VMware Player 2.5) which is free, or the MOSS download from microsoft.  Any reason why I should do one over the other, or are there other options available I'm missing?
Nov 11, 2008 at 5:01 AM
VMWare will run Virtual PC/Virtual Server images, as well as it's own formt.  But if it comes down to free versions of VM tools, I guess I'd go with the Microsoft virtual pc/virtual server.  The commercial version of VMWare is very nice, but pricey.  However they have freeware server that's ok, though it only saves one snapshot. 

But regardless of what virtualization tool you use, you probably want to download the MOSS VHD, especially if  you're just using it for training/experimentation. 

Mike Sharp