Registration component

Topics: Internet/Extranet Edition
Dec 18, 2008 at 8:36 PM
I'm having trouble giving users access to the registration component of the CKS. Everything installed properly but I am not sure how to give unregistered users access to the page. I've searched through the forums a little bit and haven't found anything yet. Thanks in advance!
Dec 19, 2008 at 6:38 PM
Do I need to allow anonymous access to a certain page to do this? I haven't figured out a way to do this.

I do see there are options for Anonymous Access: a) Entire site b) Lists and Libraries c)Nothing.
Dec 19, 2008 at 7:06 PM
Option B allows you to create a special document library and grant anonymous access to that.  If you notice on the Anonymous Access options, it mentions that with b) you have to explicitly grant access.

For what it's worth, though, you might not like this option if the whole site is locked down.  Let's say you create a library called "Login" and create a web part page in it called "Default.aspx".  The user can get to this page to log in if you've allowed anonymous access to the Login library, but they can also click on the "Login" breadcrumb which takes them to the AllItems.aspx view of the library.  There is also a search control, and then they'll see the quick launch (not that they can do anything with that, but it will be visible).

In MOSS there is a lockdown mode that prevents this for publishing sites, but it's not available in WSS.

A better approach in this case is to create a customized login.aspx in _layouts that inherits from UnsecuredLayoutsPageBase.   Basically copy the existing login page, and customize it.  Put it in a subdirectory of the _layouts folder, and point your web.config to it.  You can have any number of these pages, one for each web application if you want, so that it can be branded.

Here's a good article on doing this:

I've been meaning to create one for this project that includes the password reset functionality, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Mike Sharp
Dec 19, 2008 at 8:33 PM
So if I wanted to do this for the registration part of CKS, could I do something similar? If I put it in the _layouts directory, can I copy the code into a new registration_new.aspx file? If so, where is the code located.
Dec 19, 2008 at 10:18 PM
You mean the membership request web part?  That ones a bit trickier, because there's a lot of code behind the scenes, but sure, you could do that.  It wouldn't be web part, but rather an ASPX webform, so you can't just copy the code.  But I'm not sure I see the use case for a membership request page for anonymous users unless the site itself allows anonymous, in which case the web part already works.  The issue is with the login web part on a site that's entirely locked down to anonymous users.  There is a similar issue with the password recovery web part.  You need anonymous access to use either one of these.

You can create new ASPX pages in the _layouts folder, with codebehind if you want.  The code for registration starts in the Membership Request Web Part, but it touches a bunch of files.

Mike Sharp
Dec 23, 2008 at 2:23 PM
I found the walk-through that the CKS:FBA team linked to ( to be very helpful. Although it wasn't perfect, it was very close with some rough spots around the activation (see reports of a dependency bug and solution) and the ASP.NET Web Site Administration Tool. The Web Site admin tool issue was a local environment problem unrelated to the CKS:FBA solution.

Here is a good posting regarding what Mike was talking about above: that contains links to other postings about the issues and solutions for various anonymous user configurations.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:43 PM
As far as the ASP.NET Web Site Adminstration tool goes, I've figured out a good way to get that going without having Visual Studio set up in my production environment.  It's rather obvious, I suppose, but it bugs me that this isn't set up out of the box (since it's supplied by the ASP.NET framework, not Visual Studio).  Anyway, it's fairly straightforward to set up with two web sites--if anyone is trying to do it, post here and I'll outline the steps...I normally shut down both sites unless I'm provisioning a new FBA web application. 

Mike Sharp