FBA: Users do not appear for approval, no email sent with password

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:12 AM
Hello,

Everything installed perfectly but I think I am missing something. My main issue is that I do not recieve emails with password after user registration, do they get send after registration or approval? Does anything needs to be configured in order for those emails to be sent?

For some reason I only get users in Membership Request Management if the Registration webpart is located on topsite. Users do get created if the webpart is in the subsite, I can find them when adding to a group but I do not know their password even.

Thank you in advance.  
Developer
Apr 20, 2009 at 3:53 PM
It sounds to me like there is a configuration problem with your SMTP server, or your installation of FBA.  Make sure your SMTP server accepts relays from the one that's running FBA. 

I'll have to look in the source code to see why you're having the second issue, but I would have thought that as long as the membership request web part was in the same site collection as the Membership Request list, it would connect and add users.

As a temporary fix, you can set the membership provider to store passwords in clear text.  Then you can go into the database as see what password was generated for them.  But I wouldn't do this for every type of installation--it depends on the security requirements of what you're doing.

Regards,
Mike Sharp
Nov 5, 2009 at 8:58 PM

I was able to resolve the first issue by doing the Basic Install of WSS then the steps for FBA and Member Management. for some reason the installation of the IDE solved the problem.

However, now everything seems to be working just fine,except the user is not receiivng the emails from the APplication. I am getting alert emails from sharepoint but I don't get the emails from the workflow of the Membership Application.

How can I resolve this? As a temporary fix, how do I set the passwords to be stored as clear text?